My Rover 1.4 k series engine

gendox

Track Warrior
Car
Pug 206 LX
Ok if im to buy performance accesories what ones will fit my engine like air filters ect because i would like the variety that having a honda has lol i have a 1997 1.4L 16v Twin Cam K Series Engine. Thanks.

Honda also produced a 1.6 SOHC with 16 valves. It used a conventional rocker shaft to actuate the exhaust valve set. I seem to remember it being a very sweet and quiet engine.

The MG Rover was fitted with a 1.4 16V DOHC honda sourced engine so they are around it was also fitted to the Honda Civic VTEC not sure what year though ;) The Civic Vtec 1.4 can hit 130bhp with a remap and sports exhaust - so I'm told.

Maybe a VTEC engine swap is the way to go - I dont think the Rover engines were VTEC units.

Have you tried moto-build.com for parts - they had quite a selection when I was a RoverOwner.;)

get a 1.8 vvc inlet manifold, 2.0 throttle body, full exhaust, upgrade ht leads and plugs, and if you can a cylinder head from the vvc aswell, i had this and had big BHP diffrence on rolling road also quite a bit on the torque. :) or if your interested i have a 2.0L full rebuild engine nearly ready for sale from the 220 lol.

not realy sure how much lol i have everything apart from gearbox and cambelt so you wil need to get the timing done and cambelt fitted, if your interested you can make me an offer ? :) lol

The VVc inlet manifold does not line up properly with the ports of a non-vvc head.

All the modifications available for the 1.6 and 1.8 should also work on the 1.4.

Personally i would go with:
Manifold
Exhaust
Cold air induction
Cams
Bigger throttle body

Then if you want more you can get headwork or convert a vvc head to solid cam and use that (larger valves and ports as standrad)

Actually ive changed my mind...i would fit a 1.8 then do all of the above :blink1:

To be perfectly honest, i haven't heard so much crap being said about the ROVER K series engine in a long time.

First, it is a ROVER engine 16Valve DOHC engine, NOT a Honda engine.
NO Rover engine was VTEC, they used the VVC on the top of the range 1.8 engines, either 143bhp or 160bhp.
A larger TB i.e 52mm has been proven to loose power on the 1.4. The only engine to really benefit is the 143bhp VVC 1.8 engine.
Agreed that the VVC inlet manifold doesn't immediately fit, the 1.4, because of lining up issues. It is only until recently that the VVC set up has been successfully used on the 1.6 K series engine.

As outlined by Munday (apart from larger TB), those are the basic mods to do to a 1.4.

After that, i would personally get a bigger engined car, or do a 2.0 T16 Turbo conversion for some real power.

Cheers
Dave

I disagree about the throttle body, it would be one of the last mods I would do...after cams etc but I think it would be worthwhile. Addmitedly as a first modification there would be no real benefit.

The early 1.4s used the alloy 56mm tb and were not down on power compared to the later plastic 48mm tbs. The 56mm did not open fully but there was not much more for it to open.

To be perfectly honest, i haven't heard so much crap being said about the ROVER K series engine in a long time.

First, it is a ROVER engine 16Valve DOHC engine, NOT a Honda engine.
NO Rover engine was VTEC, they used the VVC on the top of the range 1.8 engines, either 143bhp or 160bhp.
A larger TB i.e 52mm has been proven to loose power on the 1.4. The only engine to really benefit is the 143bhp VVC 1.8 engine.
Agreed that the VVC inlet manifold doesn't immediately fit, the 1.4, because of lining up issues. It is only until recently that the VVC set up has been successfully used on the 1.6 K series engine.

As outlined by Munday (apart from larger TB), those are the basic mods to do to a 1.4.

After that, i would personally get a bigger engined car, or do a 2.0 T16 Turbo conversion for some real power.

Cheers
Dave

change ya tampon lol. its somthing ive done and benifited from it all lines up and fits,

im asuming you actualy have not got the experience about this engine and have just heard rumors? lol