mufflers for V12

jetlag700

Torque Junkie
Car
1988 Jaguar XJS 5.3
Does anyone have any ideas for a good muffler for a V12? The V12 engine is a smooth and quiet engine anyway so it is difficult to find something especially since there is so little room under the car anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good muffler for a V12? The V12 engine is a smooth and quiet engine anyway so it is difficult to find something especially since there is so little room under the car anyway.

Sorry cant help but ill have the engine if no use.;)

hi jetlag,
best bet is to visit a few exhaust shops & let them do the soft sell with whats best for the big breathing v12 . personally dont go for loud ____remember ____ grace , space and pace , need i say any more .

hi jetlag,
best bet is to visit a few exhaust shops & let them do the soft sell with whats best for the big breathing v12 . personally dont go for loud ____remember ____ grace , space and pace , need i say any more .

I agree, I won't go loud, but need it to make SOME noise since these engines are quite quiet anyway. I have cats and pipes and nothing else and it is still quiet. As for space, not much under my car and that is why i am having such a big deal finding something that will compliment the car's style and looks without making it sound like a "ratrod". Donna

Ha ha ha......just the engine??? ha ha ha...you should just buy an XJS, and always keep a hundred dollar bill in the glove box for gas ha ha ha..... Donna

i had a jps in black and gold she was a bute to nice to pinch the engine out off

hi Donna ,
the reference to grace , space and pace was jaguars advertising slogan , get rid of the cats, go to 2.5 inch pipes , turbo flow mufflers at the same point as the existing units and exit at the front of the rear wheels where the trailing arms meet the body .
i have extractors to 2.5 pipes running to the point mentioned above with 10 inch hot dogs each side exiting at the end of the dogs . its very loud so use a good turbo flow style muffler and you should be ok regards

hi Donna ,
the reference to grace , space and pace was jaguars advertising slogan , get rid of the cats, go to 2.5 inch pipes , turbo flow mufflers at the same point as the existing units and exit at the front of the rear wheels where the trailing arms meet the body .
i have extractors to 2.5 pipes running to the point mentioned above with 10 inch hot dogs each side exiting at the end of the dogs . its very loud so use a good turbo flow style muffler and you should be ok regards

Hi, I don't understand your lingo, hot dogs? what?? Who makes the turbo flow mufflers you are talking about? I was thinking about side pipes? But can't find anywhere to get sidepipes, see them alot on older Corvettes. Are you saying that your tailpipe exits from the side of the car before the rear wheel? Like I said i don't understand your terminology. I am here in Canada and some of our slang is likely different. Donna

sorry , i am not trying to confuse you . the problem with the xjs is the lack of space under the car as you have previously indicated , additionally the pipes which go over / through the diff carrier are very dificult to replace in a larger bore size . to eliminate this area you can exit the exhaust at each side of the car close to the front of the rear wheel. ( you could leave the existing exhaust 2" intermediate pipes in place , remove the muffler at the flange and install a new muffler and exit the exhaust to the side ) a hot dog muffler is the generic term applied to mufflers that have streight through entry and exit pipes , round outer slightly larger than the exhaust pipe giving very little resistance to flow , the longer the body the quieter . good luck

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back