mr2 turbo conversion?

erol20

hi guys :)

i currently own a mr2 gt uk car. and am used to the umph of ma bmw 328i coupe which i sadly parted with a few months ago due to savin for a supra, im looking to keep ma mr2 as a friend has alot of land to put the car onto :twisted:

has anyone ever done a 3s-gte into a 3s-ge bay b4?

cheers in advance! :D

Met a guy the other day who'd done this engine swap. He said it wasn't easy and wished he hadn't started it. THe engine bay access is such a big hassle and he had to take the engine out 3 times because he has miss aligned/connected things. So erol it is possible but probably not the easiest of Modifications jut because it is so hard to work on the engine in situ.

Last edited:
its a piece of cake swapping the engine over they are the same engine externally so they use the same mounts if you do get a tyurbo u also need a gear box with drive shafts,

im an electrician by trade and i have taken my engine out 5 times over 18 months just for the crack

stay away from superchargers your internals are not strong enough to make good bhp once you put it on u will of wished you had a turbo engine kicking 300rwhp with only a few mods

Hi Vardymr2 and welcome to TorqueCars - it sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to all things Toyota. I hope you stick around and share your knowledge. You clearly have the nack of removing and installing the MR2 Engines. This is a job my local garage dreads doing.

I'm doing the 3S-GTE engine swap into my 86 MR2 soon and have found a lot of good information about the swap on other forums as well.

Links removed as per T & C

hmm.... iv seen on a forum once that it took em only a couple of mins to fit a v6 into a 1980 something mr2....
i dont think it is hard to work to fit a 3s-gte into an mr2.. cept for the tight working space..
now, that's the downfall about an mr2
im also thinking of doing a 5s-fe swap to a 3s-gte but it's not going to be in an mr2...

The key is to plan well. As there is little space in the engine bay you have to get the engine ready with as much connected first and then drop it into place.

A v6 in a couple of mins! :eek: Wow - impressive stuff when you consider the labour charge a garage makes to change a cam belt on one of those! ;)

haha,
ya but i think was guy was doing it to his own gain...
he says that he's fitted many engines into these mr2z but this time he wants to try an MZ...
crazy stuff. he does it just for the sake of doing it