MK III Handbrake

Stiggy

Torque Junkie
Car
Audi A3 Quattro
hey guys im back again needing some advise

my car has been through an MOT and its come back with an advisory on the handbrake

Measurements
Brakes Advisories: RBT Park Brake Efficiency: 17%

now iv had a look at it all and iv noticed the offside caliper wont release properly and is a bit stiff as well so im thinking maybe a seized caliper which might explain a weird wuring noise at speed (like the noise you get from the disk getting hot when you slow down quickly from high speed).

so im thinking im gonna have to replace the caliper on the offside anyway, but im wondering if i need to replace the nearside one as well since the handbrake doesnt hold very well at all on slopes.

so i am wondering if you guys can give me advise on what to do with the calipers and what that wuring noise could be.

oh and does anyone know anywear that has good price's for the parts as well ?

Stiggy

Thanks Pgarner i'll give them a try and see if i have any luck.

I dont think their will be any seal kits though since the rear calipers are sealed units but i'll have a look anyway.

I still dont know if i need to replace both sides though :S

the caliper piston itself will have seals to stop the fluid leaking out.
more or less take the caliper off, push piston out and replace the o ring seals

oh im with you now. well iv had a look around on the internet and i cant seem to find any replacement O ring seals :(

But what i have found is both rear calipers for £66.70, their reconditioned ones so i'll probably go for this option, still waiting for quotes to come in

thats a good rice considering that the seal kits are probably around £20 anyway. at least with the recon ones theyll be in better condition than yours probably, nice and shiney agian

thanks for the advise turbonutter69, i thought it would be best to change both of them at the same time but wasnt sure. at least now i have some reasurance to change the pair of them at the same time

im curiouse though about what sort of problems i would get if i did just change the one? any idea what problems would pop up ?

If you only change one then you may find that one side works better than the other. Which can cause the car to swerve when heavy braking.
When I change anything on the brakes I always do both sides.

thats a good point, i forgot about that. well at least im getting two clipers for the price of one though so they will both be replaced together, after that it'll be time to start looking for thrust bearings and a shock, closely followed by a turbo quote lol

hey waynne, been a while, well i still have no work since feb but other than that im getting on ok. how about you ? hows the audi running ?

Wow no work since feb you must be pretty frustrated by now, I wish you good luck though.

I'm fine thanks, the Audi is still going strong. It has cost me about £1000 this month though. (Respray and bodywork and rear bushes and cambelt change plus a service).

It's still been pretty reliable and is running well though.

oh yes i am, that lack of work makes things very difficult to pay for but im just about managing.

£1000 isnt to bad considering the amount of work that has been done. but still the saying goes, you look after your car, your car will look after you

I can't really grumble at the prices, I was looked after by all concerned. I know the garage had major problems with the bushes and they didn't charge me for all of the time they spent sorting them out either.:D

blimy dude you were looked after well.

ordered the calipers today so iv got both sides coming for £66.70 bargin should be arriving on monday

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back