misfire under load

mishka

Car
mitsii gto mk1 n/a
Sorry vehicle is mitsubishi gto mk1 n/a auto

Wonder if anyone could point me right direction. Engine ran perfect stopped for 5 minutes at idle went for the gas total misfire sounds like 5 cylinders then clears and runs lovely.
Everytime I stop for lights or slow down and go for gas I get the misfire and even a backfire from the front (air intake I guess) definetely not exhaust rear
Sometimes have to feather the gas to clear then shes away. Starts on 1st turn everytime.
if I idle in neutral no problems but soon as pop into drive or reverse I get a miss ie underload as per pulling away from lights etc
changed maf but no different.
Have driven car daily and doesn't seem any worse than when it started its just annoying.

Has it brought up the "check engine light" by any chance? Do you have individual coil pack per sparkplug? I would be inclined to look at the sparkplugs and the coil/coil packs first.

Hi no engine check light or fault code from ecu shows.
coil packs are 3 sets of doubles
1 and 4 firing
2 and 5 " "
3 and 6 " "
Have changed coil pack for 2 and 5 no different
front plugs look good nice tan brown and dry not looked at rear 3 plugs yet as wantef to see what direcrion to take.
not simple doing back three plenum off etc

The rear 3 plugs may not be simple to get too but check them you must, if only to eliminate them from the fault finding process.

Dunno about this engine, only know some of the details about the RB26 I had but that had similar symptoms and it was 2 coil packs gone AND the O2 sensors were faulty at the back of the engine. After they were replaced it ran beautifully. IIRC the plug gaps were .8 on mine but that was a RB26 twin turbocharged engine so probably no help here.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back