Mira ignition timing

Keith ST204

Car
Prius Celica Hilux
Hello,
I would like to know if anyone can help me with which terminals on the engine check plug have to be shorted to check the ignition timing on a 1992 Mira with an EF-EL 660cc EFI engine. The engine check plug is a four pin (square configuration) plug located on the firewall on the left hand side of the of the engine bay, right hand drive car.

Thanks,
Keith

I am not using any diagnostic equipment, just a standard timing light. The sticker under the bonnet says "set ignition timing to 10 degrees BTC with engine check terminals shorted out". As you can understand I do not want to start shorting out terminals on the check plug without knowing the correct ones. I have searched every where I can think of on the internet trying to find out but have had no luck. I do not know if you are aware that Daihatsu do not sell cars in Australia any more, Toyota have taken over parts and service, but the information the local agent has on the Mira shows about a 16 pin check plug, this car has only got a 4 pin plug.

Thank you,

Its been a few years since I used a timing light. Mine connected to the spark and earth. It was easiser in those days with points/breakers.

Are you sure there is not a 16 pin plug hiding somewhere? 4 pins don't sound like enough for a check plug.

I didn't realise that Diahatsu were not selling in Australia anymore:eek:

I'll see what I can turn up for you from my contacts though. I'll report back!;)

i have the exact same issue i have seen the diagram once before but i cant remember it and now need to time the little engine.....

i cant believe how hard it is to find info on these engines im guessing they are pretty rare the 660cc jobys

Hello,
My son found some information on the internet that advised that there are two models of those engines, one has a diagnostic plug but the other one does not. I would say that is why I could only find a four pin plug, Waynne said that a four pin plug did not sound right for an engine check plug so I believe he was right again, I have no idea what the four pin plug that I found is for. I don't know if this will help you but our local Toyota dealer told me that on the engine check plug there are three rows of three pins and you have to short the middle pin on the second row and the third pin on the third row but as far as I am concerned that is useless information because I don't know how you tell second and third row as I don't know which way he was looking at the pins?

ok thestandard obd2 diagnostic plug is a 16 pin plug, 2 rows of 8, not sure about the older obd1 setup but this might be in 3 rows ill s i can dig anything up

Read the Daihatsu 's engine stuff and it caught my blur eyes.lol.I do also own a Limited Edition 500+ c.c. DAIHATSU CUORE, hatchback model. In Malaysia, these models are used as racecars, sprint or drift.(correct f im wrong). The c.c. are small in number but quite swift when pushed to the limit.ie..finely tuned..These L.E.s are very difficult to find spareparts for them as everything is unique and expensive.I got a pblem with my engine as it jerks and hops like a rabbit on low acceleration.Anyone knows the bug? Coil,plug,bad fuel feed or needs to be retuned,anything?anyone..?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back