Lancer GLX 1.6 estate

Car
Lancer GLX Estate
Hi

Newbie here.
Bought a 2000 GLX 1.6 Lancer estate 10 days ago and very happy with it.
Today my good lady wife made her first driving error in 20 years and rear ended a Pug at 10 MPH resulting in a crease in the bonnet and minor damage to the front end. Being new to Mitsubishi and cars not being my reason to live...i have motorcycles for that :cheesy: Are pattern parts available for my car or do i have to buy OEM parts? Will COLT or other LANCER bonnets fit my car?

I am just trying to see if i can get it repaired without going through the insurance co. I fear they will financially write it off if they look at it and its a cracking car with only 47k genuine on the clock and in superb condition.

Both my wife and i are in our late 40s and until today we have had zero prangs and we dont really know what is the best way to resolve the problem. I have heard you can get a pay out then buy the car back but know nowt about the process or if its viable.

Any advise gratefully received

Cheers

MLC

Welcome along boss. I'll go for an essay because I'm a bit poorly and the misses has gone out :cheesy: Can't speak for the Lancer imparticular but firstly you need to get the front bumper off and assess the damage. Shouldn't pose a problem if you're handy with bikes.

As the crash was only at a low speed, the damage may only be cosmetic. If it is the most cost effective thing to do is try and find the damaged parts in your colour and replace. Simples :amuse: Try ringing round some scrap yards or looking on ebay for breaking Lancers.

Failing that there are a few options. You could get new genuine parts but that would be very expensive. You could get new pattern parts, but they arn't always the best fit. Or you could get second-hand parts of another colour. Either of those will involve getting the parts sprayed though,and that's not cheap either if you don't know anybody.

Unlikely but the damage may also have caused more serious damage. The cross-member and/or slam panel might be bent or deformed in some way and the chassis could have even twisted, but if the cross-member and slam panel are okay I wouldn't worry about that. If you're concerned a proper body shop and some garages can advise regarding extent of the damage. If the damage is as such, it could well be a big job involving cutting and welding.

If you can get some pictures up I could probably advise further.

Do you have a full no claims bonus? If so is it protected? I'm almost sure you can buy the car back after being written off. It's something you would have to discuss with your insurers. What happened to the other car? Haven't you got to go through your insurance anyway for them?

Had to claim a windscreen 2 years ago due to vandals and we have protected no claims. Other car had scratches according to my wife and the lad was thinking £150 would sort it but his mate needed to see it first.

Just going round to a mates garage and gonna price up a bonnet and front panel if needed. I need to weigh up the options really, if insurance Co write it off i could buy it back then do repairs etc but will my insurance go through the roof after even though i have protected no claims?

The car is in such good condition it would be a waste just to let it go but alot rests on the other driver. I respect it was not his fault and if it was me i would want my car not only put right but safe too.

Thanks for the replies

Mart

Insurance companies will protect no claims bonus but they can still load your premium for an accident and a claim does make it very hard to move insurers. A lot depends on the cost of the other guys claim. If you have to go through the insurance for his damage then you have nothing to lose by adding yours to the claim as well.

Interestingly even if you don't claim you officially still have a duty to inform your insurers of any accident or loss.

Well the car has gone in for evaluation :blink:

I am having no luck in finding a bonnet should i consider buying the car back from insurers if they scrap it. One Co thought the bonnet of a Galant 'should' fit......anyone have any thoughts on that??

I do bikes not cars so am well out of my depth one knowing what bits fit other cars lol

;)

Martin

I think they would be different but i'm not entirely sure. Have you tried scrap and salvage yards for parts. Or even ebay may spring something up.

Make sure you know the parts cost before you offer to buy it back. It also depends on what category of write off it is.

Car was deemed a cat C right off purely on financial grounds. Value of the car £1300 v damage £1900. A friend has a small body shop and can repair the car for £500 and we can have the car as salvage for £300.
The bonnet can be put right so all is not lost.
Looks like i bought a car that body panels are hard to find so any further bumps will all result in a automatic right off lol

When you look at the car only 1 headlight is pushed back about 30mm and the grill is cracked..even the bulbs still work! yet £1900 of damage.

Not to worry nobody got hurt.

Thanks to all that replied

Martin