Kerb damage is it dangerous

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I hit a kerb yesterday to avoid some numptie coming the other way.

Anyhow, when I looked at the tyre the side wall shaved off on the kerb and there is now a bit of a bulge. It is holding air but It looks like there is a blister on it.

Is this dangerious? Can it be repaired or am I looking at a new tyre.

Very Dangerous, get it changed as soon as possible, stengthening in the tyre wall has been damaged which has caused a weak spot hence the 'blister' tyre could blow out anytime so dangerous for you and others on the road with you.

personally wouldnt drive on it, put your spare on and get a new one fitted.

new tyre ASAP mate, like 2fast said it will be weaker. you might be lucky and nothing happen or it could blow out while driving.
just not worth the risk imo

Agreed with the above. Immeditately put on the spare and get it replaced. A repair to the sidewall is not possible.

As said, it is scrap and dangerous, get it replaced ASAP. It'll blow if left to drive on it as the sidewall strength has been compromised.

If you need another reason for changing it NOW, the tyre is illegal and a fine and penalty points are up for grabs.

Sidewall damage must be attended to immediately.

You cannot repair a tyre with sidewall damage. It MUST be replaced.

When inspecting your tyres you should also examine the inner sidewalls, inner shoulders along with the rest of the tyre.

I'm neurotic about tyre condition, quality and wear. I'm also neurotic about tracking and alignment. (And brakes and everything else really). The upside of this is that my cars don't eat rubber and I get rewarded with a very relaxed drive in a car that tracks arrow straight.

Anyone who drives my car and contacts a kerb is unlikely to be on my Christmas card list.

Thanks for the input. I got it sorted straight away when I read 2fasts post.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back