Just a quick question about eninge mods

swompy

Tuner
Car
VW Corrado, 2lt 16v
I was just wondering if there is a certain order you should mod engine, ie cams before installing a turbo, induction kit before exhaust ect ect.
Or does it not really matter what order you do things

Thanks

Depends on budget really. I admire the way some of you guys discuss installing a turbo as if it's a normal sort of thing to do. I would not know where to start. My limit is installing an air filter element.

way i would do it before doing anything to the engine is you have to make sure you can get loads of air in and out going to work on a carb engine bits are easyer to spell lol

bigger free flowing intake manifold with bigger carb
headers and a min of 3in exhaust with just two cherry bombs on the back

then cams stiffer springs and push rods

then a big super charger sticking out of the bonnet

then a set of new rear tyres every other month

i have just had to do the ones on my trans am was a touch low lol thats a diff and rear tyres i have changed on it cos it spins to easy now

That's part of the appeal of a muscle car - ie. far more power than is even half sensible, fed to the rear wheels via a live rear axle with cart spring suspension. It's a very good way to liven up a dull and overcast Sunday afternoon. :) :)

oh yes it is fun but there was no spining this afternnon spent 3 hours cleaning the thing for a show tomorrow dont want to cover the rear wings in rubber after i did that

I was just wondering if there is a certain order you should mod engine, ie cams before installing a turbo, induction kit before exhaust ect ect.
Or does it not really matter what order you do things
Thanks

There isn't a mandatory order in which to do anything,

normally most things are done in an order dictated by a person's budget!

In the ideal world it is best done all at one time to save repeated labour costs, removing and re-fitting the same parts to get at the engine (e.g. intake & exhaust system etc).

If fitting turbos and superchargers and using sensible amounts of boost, the factory camshaft is usually retained as it would allow sufficient power gains and still stay emissions compliant in many cases.
In fact with a lot of production engines they will tolerate moderate amounts of boost without fitting any alternative engine parts.

Normally problems arise with getting the fuelling and mapping (PCM re-programming) sorted out, so that the car starts, runs and drives well.

As said, doesn't really matter. Doing as much as possible at once is often more efficient in both time and cost, but it is nice to see what difference each little modification makes.

I will say this though (as simply as I can), if you're considering a wilder cam AND a new turbo...problem with higher lift cams and turbocharged engines, is that airflow is often reduced across the turbo at low rpms so you actually get more lag (considerably so in some cases I've seen) and less power at low rpms, shifting your power band up to mid-high rpms. This means the car will be more all or nothing, and a b*tch to drive day-to-day. Basically, chose your cam and turbo combination carefully!