jaguar aj16 piston rings and big end bearings

boyan

Wrench Pro
Car
jaguar xjr 4.0 A
hi all for past two month i had intention of transplanting Jaguar ENGINE AJ16 in to AJ6..witch has turned up to be an easy job as all the parts fit from one to another, while measuring and checking out that all parts are exactly the same measuring every single part on order to find out the difference in weight and compatibly i came to a problem.

This problem turned up in to a night mare( PISTON RIGS and BIG END BEARINGS ARE NOT LONGER AVAILABLE) for this engine rebuilds....from no were!
now the problem is not only that i cant find any big ends and rings but no body can even identify them i order to get some custom made....

the big end bearings are made in tree different grades

grade 1 R stands for red grade diameter 2.0852ins (52.966mm)
2.0856ins (52.975mm)tolerance

grade 2 Y stands for Yellow grade diameter 2.0856ins (52.975mm)
2.0860ins (52.985mm) tolerance

grade 3 B stands for BLUE grade diameter 2.0860ins (52.985mm)
2.0864ins (52.995mm) tolerance

now the crank shaft bearings are identified as follows, the coding letters are stamped into the NO.1 balance wight on to the crank shaft itself...1st 7 letters represent main bearings the rest of the 6 represent conrod bearings

http://www.terrysjag.com/XJS 4.0 Auto Trans Service.pdf

can any body identify this crank shaft codes in order for me to go to and get some new big ends specially made. if they were coded like my speck (RYRYRY)
i understand this like THIS 1red 2yellow 3red 4yellow 5red 6yellow or am i wrong?

DOES THIS MEAN that all the big ends are not 100% mached ?or does it mean that one crank shaft uses yellow another crank red and another blue codes or that they are all mixed up on one crank shaft together ?what a mess.....

thanks boyan

Last edited: