Inspection Lights

Rudders666

Torque Master
Car
Ford Focus ST300+
Hi all,

Does anyone know of an easy way round the Inspection light on a 318i SE? I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually "need" an inspection and therefore the system needs resetting.

Cheers kids,

Pete

Hi Peter and welcome to Torquecars. Those Pesky service lights can be a pain and BMW would have you believe that they are the only ones that can turn them off.

Here are some pointers in the right direction (method 1 is obviously the best method but the others have proved sucessfull).

1) Peake Research tool can reset this
2) Ground Pin 7 for 3 seconds for the Oil and 12 seconds for the service.
3) Stick a bit of Gaffer tape over the dash!

Hope this helps and as always if your car blows up we accept no liability or responsibility etc......

Thanks for that but what is a Peake Research tool? And the pin 7 an doil and la-dee-daa means nothing to me, lol, sorry.

I'm a bit of a novice at things under the bonnet i'm afraid though i do intend to learn at length.

Cheers mush,

Pete

Hi Pete. What year is the BMW? n the later ones you don't actually need a service tool, you can do it by pressing the buttons for your trip counter in a specific order. Does yours have an electronic trip meter or an old style revolving one?

Test Lamp

My Beemer's a 1996/7 on a P. It's digital display with the 4 or 5 green lights then the yellow and then the red inspection lights.

I've heard from a mechanic (a friend of mine) that works for BMW that all you need is a test lamp and doing the old pin 7 thing that Waynne was talking about. As well as bleeding the brakes to and shutting off the braek inspection light also.

I will have a look in the manual at work tomorrow to see if you can "trick" the ecu with the trip buttons to put it out. Suprisingly, its usually very simple.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back