Increasing HP on a 1 Liter Engine

SKiNNeR

Car
Suzuki 2005 Zen VXI
Hi Guys,

Im just looking at ways of increasing the power output of a 1 Liter Engine. I know its not alot to play with but still trying to improve it from the bottomless pit of lack of power I'm in :)

What would be the maximum safe amount of HP i can derive from a 1 Liter Engine. Currently its a naturally aspirated engine and im looking to boost the power by installing a turbo charger.

Any feedback and comments? and for the record has anyone tried doing this with this small of an engine before???

Wouldn't turbo it if I were you ...

Two options -

1) Put a larger engine in it from the same model - more power and cheaper than a turbo conversion even if you know what you're doing and can do it all yourself.

2) If its for fast road use (which obviously isn't condonable on any public boards) or occassional track use (which is acceptable ;) ) then personally I'd focus my time and money on making the car lighter, handle better and stop faster (which you'd have to do anyway with option 1 from a safety point of view). You won't win any traffic light grand prix's or quarter mile track races but you'll hold your own and beat cars with a lot more power when it comes to the twisties which is always more fun :)

A better car or the cliff would be equally good alternatives too though :D

A larger engine is surely the way to go especiallyas most 1 litre engines have a "swoppable" big brother.

Turbos dont usually work all that well on small engines as they need volume of exhaust to spool up.

Can you fit a supercharger.
it's the most economical and modular solution, if you want more power you need forged piston but with low pressure you can use your "stock" engine.
For this choice you must fit a piggy backing ecu for A/F ratio
And if you want you can go back to the original configuration with an internal switch.
Sorry for my english,
Paolo

There was a chap from Portugal a while back (He basically gave everyone who offered advise abuse then left I think) trying to do the same thing.

The problem is, is they were not made to produce a lot of power, so even after upgrading the cams, pistons, crank, Air intake, sparks, remap on ECU, you are looking at big money, and little gains. It can be done, you just have to be realistic as to what you expect from it, without compromising the reliability of the engine. Plus, the amount you want to spend. Anything is possible, that has been proven.

Anyway, hello and welcome. :D

Thinking through this logically you will be able to massively (and expensively) increase the power output of this engine. The problem would be that the lurid cam profiles required would render it totally undriveable on the road. 300bhp is possible with a complete rebuild including bigger main bearings, bigger everything really and a couple of serious turbochargers. But it's likely to need 4000rpm to avoid stalling at idle.

Can you fit a supercharger.
it's the most economical and modular solution, if you want more power you need forged piston but with low pressure you can use your "stock" engine.
For this choice you must fit a piggy backing ecu for A/F ratio
And if you want you can go back to the original configuration with an internal switch.
Sorry for my english,
Paolo

The engine make/type is critical 1000cc isnt enough info really

A supercharger will only work well if the engine is quite efficient and capable of handling extra power-
His profile says he drives a suzuki vxi
With the greatest respect I dont think the vxi engine is one such motor.

Now if it has a suzuki 1000cc bike engine in it then you could make some really serious power with a supercharger.

If you do drive a vxi a different engine is the way to go

Hi Sleepers,
objectively this engine can not develop much power, but putting a turbo cost much more than putting a supercharged.
I think they may increase 20 or more bhp without distorting too much the original configuration, then all depend how deep are his pocket.
I'm not a mechanic and I don't know this car becouse is not in the Italian market, so I could be wrong.
if we speak of a great power I would say to change the engine with another type rx8 for example has a very small rotary engine (1.3) that could probably go but then again I do not know the car and the engine compartment.
The question is it worth it worth it or move on to something more fun as a silvia, in Italy they are available with 2000€.

Thanks guys for all the info... Going for a faster car is the smartest option but the thing is I'm in Sri Lanka and we gota live a 300% import tax on cars :p so trust me turbo charging the car and playing around with the engine is definitely a much cheaper option :p

If im going to turbo, it will only be after changing lot of the parts cus the current pistons and all will just gt waperized the minute the turbo kicks in....

Need some info on what parts i'll need to change and the max amount of HPs i can pull out of it...

Cheer

You could look into a baby turbo?

I think you should concentrate on the suspension and brakes before anything else though.

Generally a good place to start. But with the relatively small amount of performance involved the stock stuff should be OK in this situation. Suzuki's small cars usually are quite tidy little handlers in general with braking which is more than adequate anyway.

Ford used to be amongst the world's worst for fitting inadequate brakes to its cars. The 1996 Jag XK8 was pitifully braked and that's not just in my opinion.

The '98 Puma, which handled beautifully had Ford Ka brakes even on the arguably lively 1.7 Zetec model. Scary.

awryty people. I hav a 206 1.1 8v and I want to no if I can get more power fom it. Its completely standard. 1998 with 71000 miles on the clock. any advise will be much appreciated. thanks.

:lol::lol: PMSL

Nothing like a good helping hand. What great advise! lol

Charliep is now Captain Hindsight!

I answered his question. So, where is the problem? If he wants to know more specific stuff, he can ask me. I have no need to tell him about all the different possibilities as nobody would read a list this long.

You can:

* Increase compresion for improved low end torque (shaving the head)
* Put a 4-2-1 custom made header and a sport muffler.
* Do a DIY Port&Polish.
* If the engine is carbureted you can fit bigger one, that would help alot; if its fuel injected you can fit a conic air filter.

If you can say which engine it is i would can tell you a lot of things to do.

There is a guy who has a Fiat 127 1049 cc that put 92 whp (its like 120 hp) at 7900 rpm, so it depends of which is your engine.

You can:

* Increase compresion for improved low end torque (shaving the head)
* Put a 4-2-1 custom made header and a sport muffler.
* Do a DIY Port&Polish.
* If the engine is carbureted you can fit bigger one, that would help alot; if its fuel injected you can fit a conic air filter.

If you can say which engine it is i would can tell you a lot of things to do.

There is a guy who has a Fiat 127 1049 cc that put 92 whp (its like 120 hp) at 7900 rpm, so it depends of which is your engine.

Over 114bhp per liter @ 7,900rpm is a bit of an exaggeration on the 1049cc SOHC on pump fuel normally aspirated.

A cone filter on its own will not gain performance.

Also, polishing inlet ports will lose potential gains.

How do I unsuscribe to a thead? I am so sick of this thread. The I don't like it when somone asks a question, people get involved and they never return.

How do I unsuscribe to a thead? I am so sick of this thread. The I don't like it when somone asks a question, people get involved and they never return.

Click 'Profile' in the top left, on the left you'll see a bunch of options. Click 'List Subscriptions'. Check the little box on the right, scroll down and click in the drop down box and select 'Delete Subscription'. Then click 'Go'.

You could look into a baby turbo?

I think you should concentrate on the suspension and brakes before anything else though.

What about the new engines ford are building? the 1.0 turbocharged things. Surely there is a similar turbo of that size somewhere?