I have only just begun... very, very complicated"oddball" project cheapy.

emmomojo

Tuner
Car
Renault laguna tubo
Hello everybody, thank you for your patience. Please help. Detailed highly technical info and help badly needed please:(
I have a renault laguna (don't laugh) Its an estate, which suits my lifestyle, (dogs kayaks bikes etc etc)
I have always been a fan of the fast estates (rs6 etc) and i am embarking on a project to emulate this style of motoring to a degree.
The car I run was converted to lpg in poland, and is a smart, black dynamique model, with a very smokey 1.8 120hp 5 speed set up with 160,000 miles on the dash.
The lpg makes it incredibly cheap to run considering the calibre of car. It is a very sophisticated landi renzo kit from Italy.
I have bought a donor car in the form of a laguna turbo 2 technic estate, with lotts of goodies I can use including the engine and 6 speed transmission .
My rebuild mods are going to be as follows
Exhaust, Air intake, thermal insulation on exhaust, bonnet ventilation, carefully and strategically placed, large, front mounted but hidden intercooler, cold spray intercooler wetting system (free) and remap or chip box.
My ideal is to run the lpg set up on a limp or low boost/low power setting and then have something for the weekend too, at the flick of a switch.
First issue-Not many people re map my 2003 model???
Some do but its expensive. Question is, do the chip box set ups from poland do the job? For about 100 I can get a chip box which is quoting me similar figures to a remap for over 50% less. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'd leave chip boxes well well alone, especially with the LPG equipment. Remapping is a good thing and you can always control the power availability with your right foot, rather than having two or more maps.

ok thanks hdi fun, whats the difference between a remap and a piggy back ecu chip box?
I know the poles utterly dominate p.c.b. tech at currys in newark, (knowhow) they know there stuff!!!
Or is it a "protecting tuning companies" conspiracy, i.e. money for nothing like credit default swaps and toxic loans a.k.a. fanny mae/freddie mack???|B 30 days money back what is to loose?

There might be a piggy back ECU option for your car. Another option is to fit a boost controller and tweak the boost yourself.

Welcome to TorqueCars, it's really nice to have you along

There might be a piggy back ECU option for your car. Another option is to fit a boost controller and tweak the boost yourself.

Welcome to TorqueCars, it's really nice to have you along

I don't recommend upping the boost without checking the fuel and ignition maps under load on a dyno to see if it is safe.

As I thought, like the old gordini turbos with a carb, the pistons went like spat out lollypops on higher boost settings, lpg runs hot anyway. I was thinking of an adjustable pressure switch, coupled with an ajustable 12v solonoid blow off valve that opens around 4 psi on lpg mode, so as to run like a non asp straight 2 litre, then swithching to petrol, (solonoid off) and the full beans through the re mapp settings.