Hyundai Lantra Track Car

Race

Car
hyundai lantra
Have a 1999 1.6 hyundai lantra oval track car. fully stripped and caged. 930kg at the moment 50kg over weight for class but reluctant to strip more as may upset handling. Im looking for basic ways to improve both performance and handling. I know at moment i have cracked manifold so thats an issue ive to sort but i also need to fabricate up a better exhaust as last one was rushed repair due to an unloading incident by a friend at track. The hyundai as a make has never been raced at the track before me this year and there are rumors for next year that due to my car doig well a friver or two will move from the favoured mazda 323f to build hyundai coupe's i considered going coupe myself but im sticking with the lantra. She has served me well. So anyone out there with a Lantra feel free to throw some pointers my way thanks.

What is your budget and do you have a power figure you are aiming for?

What races will you be competing in (how long, are they short twisty courses or have long straight runs?)

Well budget isn't an issue as were very limited as to what we can do. Engine must remain almost standard apart from removing unnecessary. Its quarter mile oval track racing in a clockwise direction. Usually 10, 10 ad 15 laps final.The Lantra is not too keep o the corner and i suffer from over steer on exit ive tracking adjusted slightly and simply original springs cut to help car turn right. No aftermarket springs allowed it a cheap starter class hence the very minimum modification allowed. I will however next year be running ar better road legal tires so expect improvement there.

So right hand turns only eh? And you've chopped the passenger side springs? hmm... that increased the spring rate on the inside wheels. That's probably contributing to the oversteer on turn exits as you unload the car it probably doesn't settle all that well and the shocks might be giving you grief over the increased rate and lower average height.

It may be better to use stock springs and just jack the outside wheels an inch or so with a rubber spacer. Stiffer shocks on the outside will also help your issue.

Once thats worked out, Id be interested to see if you have torque steer issues due to the unequal length axles... my gut says this is why you're seeing oversteer on right turns... especially with an open diff.