How to tell if you have a flat

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Having had 2 flat tyres recently I have to admit that it was not obvious whilst driving that they were flat.

The last car used to rumble as the tyres went down but this one had pretty thick sidewalls and didn't really give any indication that the pressure had got dangerously low. The handling didn't even feel all that off either, although in fairness it was a rear tyre that was deflated.

Perhaps this is the case with all low profile tyres. Can you tell whilst driving if you have a flat? Do you always check your tyres before you head off out each morning?

The lower the profile gets the harder it is to detect an underinflated tyre.

I had a Mondeo ST TDCi on loan about 5 years ago - it was on ridiculous 245/35/18 tyres and one of the rears was down to 8PSI. I genuinely didn't notice it whilst driving and I'm very sensitive to such things.

Oddly HDi, I can feel when my tyres are getting low quite easily (though admittedly I don't think I've ever had profiles lower than 40 I think), what surprises me is how small a change in pressure it takes to notice.

I'm usually very quick to spot a low tyre, even at the rear, but my car is on so there's a good deal more sidewall to squash a bit.

Ultra low profile tyres are probably best in run-flat form and all run-flats must have a pressure warning system fitted.

Im not going to tempt fate and answer this. Just likeI didn't answer on the ''how many times have you broken down'' thread or the ''how many times have you wrote a car off'' thread.

;)

I know I saw that on the news. Is it me or does the rope look already very frayed before it snaps?

I noticed that when I first saw the clip.

Back on topic.............I can feel it when the Landy is requiring some air but the 35 profiles on the MG need regular checking just in-case there is any hint of loss, can't afford to damage the rims or the tyres! Our local roads are not very good due to the work being done by the gas and water boards. The wife's MGF took a nasty hit and rendered a wheel bearing useless!

Lower the profile - harder to feel if it's flat. Especially on rear end.
If you don't drive hard you are hard to notice changes in tyre pressure when on low profile.
Yes, it can be sensed in cars behaviour if one of the tyres is underinflated - when you try to drive a bit quicker.
If you are on low profile and sport suspension i suggest you throw an eye on tyres everytime you aproach to your car. As a matter of fact, I sugest that even if you are on regular suspension and high profil tyres. :)