How to cool and setup a remote turbo

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I know we have a few people thinking about remote turbos. I wondered if we could pool resources.

Here are some questions.

1) How do you cool a remote turbo?
2) How do you lubricate a remote turbo (may be solved by 1)
3) How to get the air charge back to the engine
4) Where is the best place to site the remote turbo?
5) What sort of boost would you run with standard internals to be safest?

Any suggestions or comments on other problems you might encounter doing a remote turbo?

This is the way that we have designed our system we are going to put in a citroen Saxo,

1: We didnt want to run pipes from the engine but a seperate electrically driven oil pump with a diff oil cooler, with a oil temp gauge, filter

2: We run pipes to and from the coole, made out of solid aluminium, this acts as an intercooler with the air flowing beneath the car should cool it easily. it may be an idea to use the theory drawing the air in

3: cooling the turbo is done by the oil and again the air passing it, It will have heat shield around so that no large volume of cold water can hit the turbo and result in very quick temp drop which may cause increased metal fatigue

4: i would like to mount the turbo before th cat and silencers, this may not be possible so anywhere where you can, If you can find a space under the car where it can sit as high as possible.

The principle for boost running stay the same as the charge temp would probably be the same if the charge was run through an intercooler , i would run 7-10 psi max for stock internals , but this depends on the engine, variable boost would be an option!!

okay, probably a really stupid question, but what is a remote turbo? and what benafits does it have over a normal turbo?

remote turbo is situated in the exhuast normally in place of one of the silencers. only benifit of it is when a normal turbo cant be fitted due to space ristrictions

Mathew Reidy of ReidyRemaps is looking at this for future products and will be using his own Audi as the test vehicle.

A novel approach for those cars that don't have the space, like mine for instance!

A novel approach for those cars that don't have the space, like mine for instance!

Pics of your engine bay? Space can often be made iwth a bit of creative thinking/custom manifolding. All you're trying to fit in the bay really is a turbo and some boost piping ffs...