How shall I tune My 2002 406 HDI (90)

Best HDI engine modification?

• Air Intakes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sports exhaust System

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Chips and remap

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Leave it alone, The engine is sound as standard!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stubblywillbert

Wrench Pro
Car
peugeot 406 2.0 hdi
Hello there.

Ive Just brought a 2002 406 2litre Hdi (90) with 25.000 miles on the clock,
The car is in perfect condition all round, no dents no scuffs all fine an the engine is sounding great, which makes a perfect project car for me to play with an learn from.
Ive never owned a turbo diesel before so my knowledge of tuning a diesel is minimal.
I wanna make sure i go about things the correct and safe way to pull the best reliable power from this engine as well as upgrade the handling.
So what im asking is;
Who's best to go to for parts and praps fitting?
What should/should'nt i buy?
What sort of costs?

Im based in Dorset (Southwest England)

Ive brought a k&n panel filter to start the ball rolling.....

Many thanks

stubbly

Last edited:
Hello there.

Ive Just brought a 2002 406 2litre Hdi (90) with 25.000 miles on the clock,
The car is in perfect condition all round, no dents no scuffs all fine an the engine is sounding great, which makes a perfect project car for me to play with an learn from.
Ive never owned a turbo diesel before so my knowledge of tuning a diesel is minimal.
I wanna make sure i go about things the correct and safe way to pull the best reliable power from this engine as well as upgrade the handling.
So what im asking is;
Who's best to go to for parts and praps fitting?
What should/should'nt i buy?
What sort of costs?

I based in Dorset (Southwest England)

Ive brought a k&n panel filter to start the ball rolling.....

Many thanks

stubbly

I say re-map it. But if you wait a little i'm sure Hdi will be along soon to help you out. He's our resident diesel enthusiast. He'll point you in the right direction mate. An welcome to torque cars

Hi Stubly and welcome. Nice to have yo along. What year is your car? The later ones remap nicely the early ones however are not remappable.:(

Cheers for that advice, being apart of torque cars has prooved incredably handy, ive only been a member for less than 24 hours and ive established that i can remap the car... nice one! think ill set this web site as my home page from now on. lol

Do you know any companies around the Southwest who have a good reputation?
or any plug'n play chips that are on the market that are easy to install and reliable?

Thanks again for the advice. much appreciated.

Hey, Just had a look at their web site, they reckon they can pull the car up to 116hp, ive asked for a quote on how much a remap would be. will get back to ya on that one,
how long does it take to have a car remaped?

I fitted the K&N panel filter earlyer today, found that it hasnt made a major power increase but has made the engine feel/sound smoother on the rev curve, would i have gained more from a cone filter tho?

Last edited:
Hey, Just had a look at their web site, they reckon they can pull the car up to 116hp, ive asked for a quote on how much a remap would be. will get back to ya on that one,
how long does it take to have a car remaped?

I fitted the K&N panel filter earlyer today, found that it hasnt made a major power increase but has made the engine feel/sound smoother on the rev curve, would i have gained more from a cone filter tho?

I'm not sure as it's a diesel. I always thought panel filters worked better on a diesel. To get an increase in bhp from your filter you need to remove the resinator box that is attatched to your air filter an run a cold feed pipe front your front bumper straight to your airbox. You still won't see much gain from just replacing the filter anyway. A filter works best with the exhaust being upgraded as well.

Im lookin at having a decat pipe made for the car at the moment, aparently its rather involved...
ie theres an EGR valve that ill have to have remaped to turn it off so the car doesnt start having a fit.
Im looking at having a switchable remap, one map with the cat on and the egr valve on for the mot, the other map for no cat, particle filter an no egr valve. all ill have to do is change one pipe and hit a switch for the mot. gunna get costly!!!
Im hoping HDI fun will soon be on to put some light on the subjet he seems to have all knowledge on the hdi engine.

Last edited:
There's no particle filter on the two litre cars so that's one worry out of the way.

You won't be able to have a switchable map on these cars - it's not possible with the Bosch EDC15 ECU. The only way to get something like this is a plug in tuning box which you remove for MoT testing. Don't waste your money on 'em; they're crap. Further, the car would fail the MoT with a switchable map anyway, simply because it's there.

I don't think you need worry too much about cats on diesels, they're unregulated two-way devices so they won't interfere with fuelling in the way they can on petrol cars. They don't present the same level of back pressure either as diesels are not so high revving as petrol engines.

I'd leave the EGR in place as well. These are pretty reliable on these cars and don't interfere with the performance.

Your best bet is to pay Celtic three-hundred quid graciously. They will check your car over before starting work anyway.

Run it on BP Ultimate Diesel and dose it up with Millers Diesel Sport 4 additive. THese together will give you another 8-10% torque over the standard or remap figures on stock fuel.

Use a fully synthetic oil 5w/40 with API rating at least CH4. AMSOIL is my current choice and my 2.2 is at 119,000 miles with no issues.

The HD 90 is bereft of an intercooler so you can't go mad with boost increases but they'll still get 200lbft from it.

Whether fitting an intercooler from a 2.2 is possible I don't know but I suspect that Celtic could take advantage of it and increase the fuelling and airflow quite significantly.

There's no particle filter on the two litre cars so that's one worry out of the way.

You won't be able to have a switchable map on these cars - it's not possible with the Bosch EDC15 ECU. The only way to get something like this is a plug in tuning box which you remove for MoT testing. Don't waste your money on 'em; they're crap. Further, the car would fail the MoT with a switchable map anyway, simply because it's there.

I don't think you need worry too much about cats on diesels, they're unregulated two-way devices so they won't interfere with fuelling in the way they can on petrol cars. They don't present the same level of back pressure either as diesels are not so high revving as petrol engines.

I'd leave the EGR in place as well. These are pretty reliable on these cars and don't interfere with the performance.

Your best bet is to pay Celtic three-hundred quid graciously. They will check your car over before starting work anyway.

Run it on BP Ultimate Diesel and dose it up with Millers Diesel Sport 4 additive. THese together will give you another 8-10% torque over the standard or remap figures on stock fuel.

Use a fully synthetic oil 5w/40 with API rating at least CH4. AMSOIL is my current choice and my 2.2 is at 119,000 miles with no issues.

The HD 90 is bereft of an intercooler so you can't go mad with boost increases but they'll still get 200lbft from it.

Whether fitting an intercooler from a 2.2 is possible I don't know but I suspect that Celtic could take advantage of it and increase the fuelling and airflow quite significantly.

Bout time you arrived....;):lol::lol:

Well.... that stop me spending all my notes from under the bed lol. cheers for that. ill leave the cat ect alone and keep trying to get hold of celtic tuning. as for an intercooler... ill mention it to them... when i get hold of them! lol. proberly be in the new year.

Graham and Tony don't work outside of normal office hours. And why should they? THey, too deserve to have time with their respective families like all of us do.

THey'll get your car going very nicely indeed. The nicest thing about a custom remap is that all the rough edges are removed first. Long before boost pressure is increased. And long before fuel injection timings are changed.

It's the honing of the torque curve that makes a good map so special. Plug in boxes make the car harsh and unpredictable.

The 2.0 do have particulate filters just no cats....my old 1.9 has a particulate filter plus i would disconnect the egr valve especially if the car is being remapped...I've seen people who have told me there HDi's were under performing and I've taken the intake manifold off and i could only jsut get my finger in there... so just unplug it...
The HDi 90 makes about 10 psi of boost with an intercooler and a full turbo back exhaust and a remap to suit 150 hp is easily seen
HDi fun is right though don't touch your waste gate until you get one though else you could be in a right mess

On a standard remap you should see between 120 and 130 hp with 200 lb/ft

Last edited:
"The 2.0 do have particulate filters just no cats....my old 1.9 has a particulate filter "

No, they don't have particle filters. Peugeot never fitted them on the 2.0 HDi engines until the launch of the 407. Even then it was an option of 2.0 HDI 136 or 2.0 HDi 136 FAP

The XUD engines were retired long before anyone considered fitting a particle filter to a car.

Last edited:
Sorry but yes they do....I've worked on these engines before ... and there not cats and not silencers so they are particulate filters .... easy to tell because if any diesel has an egr valve then it has a particle filter to filter out the last bit of the soot....

it is pointless to have one without the other

any xud from 1996 onwards has one and all the hdi's do..

thats why they are subject to a smoke test come mot time

Last edited:
Sorry but yes they do....I've worked on these engines before ... and there not cats and not silencers so they are particulate filters .... easy to tell because if any diesel has an egr valve then it has a particle filter to filter out the last bit of the soot....

it is pointless to have one without the other

any xud from 1996 onwards has one and all the hdi's do..

thats why they are subject to a smoke test come mot time

No they don't!

What you're seeing '96 on are two way unregulated cats. They don't have oxygen sensors like a closed loop three-way one does on a petrol car.

Cars have had EGR for years. Long before cats were introduced.

The particle filters sit upstream of the cat (ie. on the engine side).

2001 was the first model year PSA introduced the particle filters, and then it was only to the 2.2 HDI 136 engines (DW12TED4 engine code).

They also use a very specific fuel borne catalyst (which is a heavy metal, cerium compound). The ECU adds very precise quantities of this stuff each time the tank is filled or topped up. It's there to reduce the burnoff temperature of the accumulated soot. It's badged Eolys by the manufacturer Rhodia, previously Rhone-Poulenc.

The burnoff process is call regenaration and typically occurs every 300-400 miles. This varies, depending upon driving style and usage.

The lifespan of the FAP is alleged to be around 50,000 driven miles. This, too will vary with fuel quality, driving style etc.

So... leaving this point about the EGR valve an cat buiness...I think its safe to say i wont be touching it, what else can i do under the engine bay before i get the car remaped? i am planning on changing the oil and filter this weekend.

Also, is there any good companies that sell after market performance parts for the hdi engine? im looking in to upgrading the turbo internals and have no idea which direction to turn.

Last edited:
The single best improvement you can make would be the fitment of an intercooler before the remap is done.

You can probably get a hybrid or cut back turbocharger to replace the Garrett T3 (T03 ??) which will allow more boost. You will definitely need an IC before uprating the turbo.

There is a limit to how much boost you can apply before you need to start modifying the engine - lower compression pistons etc.

Again, make the remap the last thing you do.

I wouldn't go too mad as these type of mods get very pricey. If you really do want to go mad then you'd be better off hunting down a 2.2HDi to start with. The 2.2 engine is very different to the 2.0HDi internally and the tuning scope is larger.

what sort of cost would having an intercooler fitted be and where could i get this done?
Is it somthing i can do myself?
would the car be drivable with an intercooler before the remap?
Can i go to a scrap yard and strip the pipe work an intercooler off a 110 and fit it to the 90? (im hoping so)
Well thats alot of questions lol.
The southwest (dorset area) is crap for garages that will help tune a car.

The best advice you'll get will come from Matt Jobling at Pug1Off in Brackley, Northants. He can be contacted on 01280 701919 or via http://www.pug1off.com.

I suspect there is a little more to it than simply plumbing it in but even doing just that will help the driveability.

what sort of cost would having an intercooler fitted be and where could i get this done?
Is it somthing i can do myself?
would the car be drivable with an intercooler before the remap?
Can i go to a scrap yard and strip the pipe work an intercooler off a 110 and fit it to the 90? (im hoping so)
Well thats alot of questions lol.
The southwest (dorset area) is crap for garages that will help tune a car.

You can buy an intercooler and all the piping needed off good old ebay. If your confident enough you could fit it yourself but you may need to cut some things to get it in. And you would have to add good secure mounting points.

You can buy an intercooler and all the piping needed off good old ebay. If your confident enough you could fit it yourself but you may need to cut some things to get it in. And you would have to add good secure mounting points.

You will still need to get the control data altered to make best use of the intercooler and the cooler air it makes available.

Does an intercooler have to be placed in front of the radiator? obviously they get hot but would it be too hot that it couldnt be placed behind the radiator. looking under the hood that seems to be the only place that i can fit a smallish intercooler without going crazy with a angle grinder. being an engineer ive got mills and lathes at my disposal so making the brackets and fixing it wouldnt be a problem... got to have something to do on my lunch break! lol
Plus what would be easier to fit an air cooled intercooler or water cooled?

I'll photograph the engine bay of my car tomorrow. If you're standing directly in front of the car the intercooler is mounted vertically directly to the right of the radiator ie. in a RHD car is is almost directly ahead of the passenger. It's only about 10 inches wide and about 20 tall so there should be room there.

As far as I know the cooling system is common to both cars so there should be space for the intercooler. The only difference with the 2.2 is that there's an oil/water heat exchanger but that's nowhere near the front of the car so I presume we can ignore that as well.

You will also need some additional plumbing to take the compressed air from the turbo to the intercooler and then back to the intake manifold after it's been 'intercooled'. These take the form of 3 inch pipes (similar to coolant hoses but bigger) in my car. Mine has an additional device to bypass the intercooler for when the particle filter is regenerating and maximum heat is required to achieve this. You can ignore this as the 2.0 HDi engines don't have particle filters.

As for air/water, the air cooled option should be far easier as you don't have to open the cooling system. I suppose you could muck about with a spray bar in front of the intercooler and use an auxiliary cold water tank and screenwasher pump to spray the intercooler with cold water. This is quite common on rally cars and can yield quite a few more BHP but I have no idea where the heck you'd mount the thing!

If you do fit an intercooler a subsequent remap is a must to get the best from it.

Im lookin at having a decat pipe made for the car at the moment, aparently its rather involved...
ie theres an EGR valve that ill have to have remaped to turn it off so the car doesnt start having a fit.
Im looking at having a switchable remap, one map with the cat on and the egr valve on for the mot, the other map for no cat, particle filter an no egr valve. all ill have to do is change one pipe and hit a switch for the mot. gunna get costly!!!
Im hoping HDI fun will soon be on to put some light on the subjet he seems to have all knowledge on the hdi engine.

Check out the celtic tuning website. They can do switchable remap on 406. Its called eMotion or something. I was thingking about have it on my car, but decided for ordinary remap;)