How can i make my car quicker?

Edezz

Car
Audi A3 2.0TDI
I have an audi a3 2.0 tdi 04 plate, looking to make it quicker .. but im not too sure where to start?

i put a chip in it yesterday .. bought off ebay for £80 .. supposed to add 30 bhp and 90 torque ... made a little difference but i think id like to hit around 250bhp if possible.. any advice you guys can give me is apriciated..

thanks for your time

Hey & welcome! :bigsmile:
First, what exactly was the chip you bought off ebay?

The basic mods would be a nice good quality panel filter, a proven sports exhaust system & then a re-map will see some good gains I would imagine. There is other magic doohickary you can do with diesel engines but I'll let those in the know explain more. :D

I would also dump the "Chip", it is probably just a little inline box that lies about the air temps causing the car to overfuel and get a proper remap done. There really is no substitute for a good quality custom remap.

Drop in a larger turbo as well for extra boost, getting it to 350 will require quite a bit of money, a remap should deliver a 30% power gain, reliably and on standard internals. :D

Welcome to TorqueCars, nice to have you with us.

ive looked at the k&n induction kit .. will that do the job? and after i buy that and fit it in .. what should i look into next ? :p

It's just not IMO worth putting a full induction kit on a TD engine. If you want to improve the flow then a panel filter should be just fine. It will free up the top end a bit but I don't think you'd really notice the extra power.

Premium diesel fuel i hear is a good way to make your car feel alot better to drive, plus might add a horsepowers and make it more responsive as well as being kinder to your engine. Might be worth trying a tankful to see how it is, if you don't notice much difference then go back to the regular stuff. A very good modification in that if it doesn't work your money isn't entirely wasted.

I find premium petrol makes a difference even in my pitiful 1.6. It seems to make the car much more responsive and a little more powerful through the entire rev range. Also makes a difference to fuel economy too.

I presume premium diesel will have the same effects. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

AS said, dump the tuning chip ASAP. GO and get the ECU remapped professionally.

Panel filters don't make much difference, nor do full kits really, bear in mind your car has forced induction - it doesn't rely upon suction to draw in air.

Premium diesel is a good choice, you can also supplement the cetane rating with a Millers Diesel Additive. - http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_RETAIL.htm

Don't put that garbage from ebay, only professional! Panel filters are for small petrol engines, not yours.

And they've said it: bigger turbo

As stated many times, get rid of the ebay chip, I dont believe one second that it gives an extra 30bhp n 90lb/ft. It will be more like 5bhp n 10lb/ft and a whole load of problems in the future.
Remaps are your best option for diesels. You get a bag load of power as well as better fuel economy.

I'm a dealer for celtic tuning and the maps they provide in my opinion are one of the best and I'm not just saying that because I deal for them, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't think they were good.

The gains depend on which bhp model you have and whether it's a CR or PD engine.
Is yours the 138bhp CR or PD or the 167bhp CR or PD?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back