High Ratio Steering

DarkFlame

Car
99 Mazda 626 V6
One of the things I want to do is replace my oem steering with a higher ratio steering. I'm not really sure what I need, but I know it has to fit the oem configuration. Any suggestions for solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DarkFlame
(but you can call me David)
San Antonio, TX

Replacing the whole steering rack seems to be the answer here. But I can't see anything around for the 626. You might find a 323 has a tighter ratio and will drop in but I'm no expert on these and haven't driven or owned a 626 for over 30 years now.

A larger steering wheel is the easiest way to reduce the steering ratio but is not a very practical solution for you.

Altering the steering rod end length may also help you to achieve your aims here.

Thanks, Obi Waynne! I appreciate your thinking. My 626 is 20 years old & has less than 45,000 miles. Changing the steering wheel might be a good ideal, but I want to move my arms less to make turns, so smaller would be better than larger. ;) I was thinking of replacing the steering rack, even found one aftermarket manufacturer that does 4x, 5x, even up to 10x the ratio ... but their fitments are for GM vehicles. Still, I am hopeful.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back