Help

My GTO Jap inport car has been up for sale for 3 weeks, its on ebay and exchange and mart. (feltham) area.
I've has a call from a chap called charles smith who is alledgelly based in Dublin and runs an export buisness. He asked for my bank details and then sent a cheque for the car with a little more monies to pay his shipping agent. The cheque was in a females name and is now banked, I have doubts and that this may b a scam. This morning a chap rang me and requested that I pay for the shipping by western union and can I do it in the next three hours.

I told him my concerns about the cheque and the way this whole situation was going and that I was not going to pay any money untill I got monies in my hand. I told him to call me at the end of the week when and if the cheque clears.

I am interested to hear if anybody else has been in the same situation.

It may, just may be genuine but i doubt it. This is a common scam employed by people doing just what is happening here.
Even if the cheque clears, you need to wait ten days for this to be certified, it can still bite you in the butt. I can't remember how it's done, your best bet is, do not pay anything out until you are certain that the money is in your account and cleared.
For better advice and from people who DO know, speak to your bank.
However, this scam is very common !!

never been in this situation but it is a scam mate i remember reading this on another forum quite a while ago but the only difference being it was spain iirc

stick to your guns and send no money

Cheers mate for your reply much appreciated. I spoke to bank and they said once money is cleared then its available and can't be recalled. If its fraudulent then its a matter for the Police and I'm not liable. umm

Deffo SCAM, no doubt about that one!!! Western union ha ha!!!. Dont hand over a penny, the chap or his mate could have come and collected it by now and cheaper than shipping costs, What you should have asked for is a direct bank transfer, I presume the cheque was in euro's as he is from Dublin.

Even if the money looks like it has cleared I would still not beleive it. I have heard of foreign currency cheques being withdrawn and charged back 6 months later.

This smacks of a scam. Do not deal with this guy. Do not send him any money or the car.

It smells like a total scam, and the touch of adding a bit extra to pay the shipping agent is for sure. Suggest just cancel his cheque and try and sell it again - if this came as a result of through ebay you might want to flag some concerns to them although doubt they can do much.

Hi chaps, the cheque cleared and I drew the money and paid the shipping agent his portrion. The shipping agent then rang later to say that Charles Smith daughter had an accident and no longer wants the car. Waht would you do?

I still have my money for the car sitting in my back pocket, I told this chap that the deal had been done and that there was no returns.

try and get the full message headers, cant remember how you do it at the min.
full header should also contain the IP address that the email was sent from.
id still see a solicior with everything

I still say its a scam, stolen cheque not reported yet or something like that, so all of a sudden he does'nt want the car ( now the cheque has cleared !!!) Ha Ha! how did I know that would happen???, So now you give him back the money in CASH and he disappears, oh yea! what about the shipping agent have you got the money back from him yet?? or has he vanished? after you give back the money the cheque will be reported stolen and guess where they're going to come looking????

try and get the full message headers, cant remember how you do it at the min.
full header should also contain the IP address that the email was sent from.
id still see a solicior with everything

This sounds like a scam to me mate. If you use hotmail and want to see the IP address then right click the message and select view source. Contact your bank immediately and tell them the story, they should be able to sort it out for you.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back