help shudder lack of power and black smoke

grundall

Car
david john davies
hi i was driving my a3 1.9 tdi and experienced a sharp shudder and hold back then a rapid loss of power with a lot of black smoke has any one experienced this or can any one point to a specific item to look at i think the cat may have blocked or the turbo blown please any one help :(

look at the maf sensor. they are prone to failure.
black smoke is a sign of to much diesel or unburned diesel... someone with more knowledge will give their helpfull advise soon .
you can allways check for split pipes and vacuum hoses.
btw welcome to torquecars

hey and welcome to the site

were you giving it some beans ? if so pull the bumper off and check your intercooler hoses before you start worring about the turbo - you might get away with taking off the front drivers wheel and remove the wheel arch.
the clips that hold the intercooler pipes on are pathetic and come off easy

thanks to all for the tips i was only doing around 70mph at the time of the shudder i have looked as best i can at the intercooler pipes and they seem fine am in the process of taking off the exhaust now to check the cat not blocked hope it going to be an easy fix as it is a nice drive and normally goes well, anyhow if any one got any ideas to help will be very much appeciated and again thanks to all who answered so far
also a big thanks for the welcome guys all the best to you all

in the middle of checking all pipes and clips now and they are a bit weak but none seem that loose will let you know if i find the prob thanks for the assist and the welcome

Well still no joy i have had acomp on it now and all it coming up with is injector timing fault could this mean the belt has slipped or just a glitch ??????????

had injectors tested and all fine am now in process of checking the timing didnt slip but having some trouble finding out which engine it is fitted, any one got a clue to give me where to look for engine type and where the timing marks could be cheers amnd many thanks in advance for all the help