Help please!

markw0591

Car
BMW X5
Good day ladies and gentlemen.
I have just joined here for information and advice.
Two or three years ago I was gifted an '02 MG TF, the engine of which has now destroyed itself! It is not the most desirable model in that it is the 'stepspeed' model (strangely I rather like it - probably a product of being somewhat well stricken in years!). The car is in superb condition in every other respect, so I am very reluctant to scrap it, and as it cost nothing and has no real value now, I feel that there may be an opportunity to turn it into something a little more exciting, whilst retaining the auto box. I am hoping there might be someone here who might be able to offer me constructive advice.....

You could always transplant a 1.8K series turbo engine into it. Starting to become popular with us ZR owners.

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

The easiest transfer I guess would be another n/a 1.8 K series from the MG/Rover stable, perhaps the 160VVT model. I think your selespeed was the 120bhp version so you'd get another 40bhp.

You could stick the 1.8 turboed engine in, but you'd want to remap it past the standard 160bhp otherwise it's not worth the trouble compared to the relative ease of dropping in the 160 n/a vvt engine.

Although what you REALLY should do is stick the 2.5 V6 in it from a ZS/ZT. This was done by MG themselves for a concept TF coupe that never got produced.

Then supercharge it. Supercharging keeps the progressive nature of an n/z engine more than turbocharging.

Thanks guys for the advice.....I had a turbo engine on offer to me, but was advised that it would not really work with the auto box as the it has a rev limit of 6000rpm.......the 160 vvt engine has the same problem in that the real power comes in between 5000 and 7000rpm so the gain would be minimal. I have also considered the V6 option, but it really would require major surgery it seems to get it to fit. I have made some enquiries with MG Owners Club Technical Dept. who have suggested using the same engine as original but reworked by company called PTP Ltd, which will bring the power output up to about 140-150. If this is the best option, the next thing is to source a good 120bhp engine.....