Help me get this starter motor off my car!!

Exodus

Car
pug 306 xl 1.4 :(
how do you get the starter off the 95 306 phase 1 (1.4) its a real pain!!! there are two bolts on mine then a third 'pin' (it just has no nut on it) is there something special about the last pin (closest one to the bonnet on the top) help!

Sounds like you need a haynes manual to me. Does the pin move in or out at all? Give the whole thing a little tap, it might loosen it up. The pin isn't part of a bolt coming from the other direction is it?

looked at it with a mirror and its a smooth head so a bit of a mystery will have to get the manual

possibly the best reply ever! :) i found the bolt conveniantly placed NOT on the motor but on the transmission under the battery wires!

i know when i changed mine on a phase 2 they were all nuts, but the one at the bottom was loose at the other end which once i tightened the other two it somehow tightened, was a mystery but never thought nothing of it as it was done until now so may be another way into it??? Might not help but thought i'd mention

Haynes manuel is the best bet chap...it helped my remove my starter motor when I was changing my cam belt...I would have thought It would be 3 allen screws and it's off

as far as I know the block is threaded and when putting the motor back on put the screws back in exactally the same holes you found them in cause I'm sure that one of the screws will be longer than the other to and you really don't want to be forcing it down the wrong hole else you will split where it goes....i did that so i had to find a longer bolt and use a couple of nuts on the end of it....trust me...you don't want the hastle

Last edited:
Haynes manuel is the best bet chap...it helped my remove my starter motor when I was changing my cam belt...I would have thought It would be 3 allen screws and it's off

as far as I know the block is threaded and when putting the motor back on put the screws back in exactally the same holes you found them in cause I'm sure that one of the screws will be longer than the other to and you really don't want to be forcing it down the wrong hole else you will split where it goes....i did that so i had to find a longer bolt and use a couple of nuts on the end of it....trust me...you don't want the hastle

I had the same problem it is slightly bigger and started to screech and i ended up forci8ng it took me a good hour to fit a longer one and tighten lol Never again..but suppose ya dont learn these things any other way

Yeah...the hard way...lol....I'd never done a cambelt change on any car before but it was a nightmare....i can change the entire rear suspension quicker than doing a cam belt on a 306....the wost engines to do it one are the diesels or the bigger petrols......

Basically what they had to do when making them was tilt the top the engines back so much so they almost touch the bulkhead so it didn't ruin the handling it puts some the the engine mass behind the front axel.....so when you do it you have to take the top engine mount off drop the engine down and tilt it forward....plus they had to put 2 of the coolant hose right in front of the bottom pulley and give you about 5 mm of space to feed the cambelt down....

I love driving these cars and I love working on them beacause sooooo many parts interchangable with soooo many other cars but change a cambelt?....not a chance in hell

Yeah...the hard way...lol....I'd never done a cambelt change on any car before but it was a nightmare....i can change the entire rear suspension quicker than doing a cam belt on a 306....the wost engines to do it one are the diesels or the bigger petrols......

Basically what they had to do when making them was tilt the top the engines back so much so they almost touch the bulkhead so it didn't ruin the handling it puts some the the engine mass behind the front axel.....so when you do it you have to take the top engine mount off drop the engine down and tilt it forward....plus they had to put 2 of the coolant hose right in front of the bottom pulley and give you about 5 mm of space to feed the cambelt down....

I love driving these cars and I love working on them beacause sooooo many parts interchangable with soooo many other cars but change a cambelt?....not a chance in hell

You mentioned there you can change the back suspension...:amuse: Just i have recently had some knockin on my rear end and thinking it may be the torsion bar, it is on the left handside only. I was just wondering how i would find out what it is it is only when cornering and not at very high speed and mainly bumps in the road. It sounds like the axel is hitting a solid part of steel(Toolbox emptying in my boot)

Any advice would be greatley appreciated:D

I was about to say exhaust cause it is on the left.....mine started to knock then while I was on motor way the back box dropped off...lol.... I had to stop to pull the remains of it off...it was basically rotten...how long have you had yours on there?

:bigsmile::bigsmile:
I was about to say exhaust cause it is on the left.....mine started to knock then while I was on motor way the back box dropped off...lol.... I had to stop to pull the remains of it off...it was basically rotten...how long have you had yours on there?
:bigsmile:

Thanks for the post mate but i have checked the exhaust and it seems to bve solid, i am going to take the wheels off and jack it up hopefully next wqeek when i get time but hoping i can find the problem without too much work, Cheers again it seems to be more frequent any more ideas