help, Any ideas on power loss

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Hard to explain but basically I am running a 2.6 4 cyl 1986 Shogun 4x4 which is fed by a carb. The car has no Torque, and never has since I baught it. No probs I use the gears. It has never gone faster than 60mph since I've owned it (Again no problem for me) The problem is that when the car is going up a long hill, as soon as it runs out of momemtum (from the run up) It starts coughing and spluttering, I have to change down to 2nd as it doesn't have the power to get up the hill in 3rd (5 speed) I have also noticed that it doesn't run as well on full throttle but runs better if I lift my foot a little, unfortunately it needs the full throttle to get up the hill so it's catch 22. Also it ticks over nicely most of the time, but from time to time the tick over drops to half the revs ind of course it ticks over roughly. I did think it was fuel related but if it were how come it drives sound up hill in second. Of course in second the engine is screaming, so I have to lift off the pedal and therefore are doing stupid low MPH. Any ideas please. I guess it has to be fueling or ignition (isn't it allways) But i don't want to go out and buy everything only to find out it was one thing!
(I'm no expert but could it be the coil?)
It only does it on certain hills. If someone is in front of me it isn't a problem as they are usually going slow enough , Cheers all

if it was the coil youd probably find it was misfiring alot. i was thinking more the carb being the issue - maybe jets blocked. not clued up on carbs really

Could be, mabye if it is a progressive choke that could explain why it's not too good on full throttle. but wouldn't explain why it is sound in 2nd. just lacks torque

i asked the same question on the PPC forum, got many replies, seems i need the carb looking at and then the timing

Sounds like the ticking would be the timing....but i dont think that would lead to a massive torque loss. I have no idea about carbs really except maybe its clogged up, equal less are ext. which would make sense on why it only happens sometimes, gets unclogged and such.

just a dumb question, oil levels are good yeah?

Get some carb and choke cleaner and spray into the carb will the engine is running. Only spray small amounts at a time though as i will make your engine want to cut out. Keep your hand on the throttle and keep revving it whilst you spray into the carb.

used the spray in the past, didn't make much difference, nothing beats the power of a spanner, just got to get someone to do it for me. mechanics are cheap here but I have trouble explaining in Spanish or through a translator as you can imagine

Give it a good decoke if its not had one for a while and cheak everything out. do change All filters if you do not know how old thay are, can make a big differnce.

the distrubitor may be the problem , check the timing at idle and at say 3000rpm . it may be that the mechanical advance isnt working , check on the net for what the correct settings are & a timming light will be required , again check the net for how its done ( real easy ) good luck

I found out it is a common problem with these carbs, the carb has 2 cylinders, one operated by the throttle, the other by a vacuum, the vacuum pump gives up over time, so since I have had this car i have been driving on half a carb, no wonder it is gutless

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back