Torque Cars

Head gasket problems - Sell or sort?

Discussion in 'Alfa Romeo' started by AutobotVanguard, 29 January 2012.

1. AutobotVanguard

AutobotVanguard Newbie

UK
    Car:
    Alfa 156 Sport MJET
    Head gasket problems - Sell or sort? My diesel engine was making a noise like a sewing machine and would not beat 40mph without warning lights on, shortly after the head gasket was replaced. My mechanic has cleared the 'limp home' and claims that the noise has gone away now. I mentioned to him that the thermostat seems to be playing up which I appreciate, might be the underlying cause or a symptom of the HGF equally. He wants to keep it for a few more days due to workload (again). Generally, do cars recover fully from HGF or does it make a problem car? I want to be able to drive my Alfa normally to work and at times enjoy the car without worrying that it'll go pop :(

2. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    Hello and welcome to the site mate

Cars normally are fine after HGF is fixed properly.
    thermostat is easy to test, take it out and put it in a pan of boiling water - half hr tops on most engines.

3. AutobotVanguard

AutobotVanguard Newbie

UK
    Car:
    Alfa 156 Sport MJET
    Thank you very much. I really don't want to get rid of it and my parents, girlfriend and her parents are all applying the 'its an Alfa money pit' pressure. Hopefully after this is fixed all will be well. What about the 'sewing machine' noises. Does that indicate a problem with the hydraulic lifters or if its quiet again when I get it back, has that probably sorted itself?

4. Charliep

Charliep Torque Junkie

Thurrock, UK
    Car:
    Alfa GTV & 33
    Is the correct oil (viscosity) used?