Hand brake release

Rudders666

Torque Master
Car
Ford Focus ST300+
Morning all,

I could do with learning how to release the hand brake on my E36 BMW at the back wheel. It seems to keep getting stuck on and therefore making the wheel squeal and the car drag a bit (obviously). I popped it into the garage and it took them literally two minutes and a screwdriver. I'm not sure where to put the screwdriver to pop it off though or at least to make sure it's not still stuck on.

If anyone could help me that'd be grand.

Cheers,

Pete :blink:

If it keeps siezing I'd put some time into solving this rather than keep unsticking it each time. Prevention is better than cure. Do the calipers need lubricating? Is the cable to blame.

If it keeps siezing I'd put some time into solving this rather than keep unsticking it each time. Prevention is better than cure. Do the calipers need lubricating? Is the cable to blame.

I know I need to it's just as a quick fix for now really. I've no idea. I just no the guy at KwikSh*t put his screw driver in and pinged it off. He couldn't be arsed to take the time to explain it to me and just said, "that's for me to know". Tool! Wouldn't mind, not like he charged me for it. Think it's cos it was 5 to 5 mind but still...

I imagine he just got under the pad and levered it away from the disc.

Questions to ask though, what if it sticks on when you are driving and the heat binds the pad onto the disks? I really would get this sorted asap mate it's not worth chancing it with brakes.

Last edited:
did not touch the caliper
as the bmw's have handbrake shoes might find that if they are sticking a lot that they are falling apart inside is easy ish to do

take the wheel off
brake caliper
brake disc
then you can see the shoes and your problem if you have the tools or even some of them should only be a 30 min job

did not touch the caliper
as the bmw's have handbrake shoes might find that if they are sticking a lot that they are falling apart inside is easy ish to do

take the wheel off
brake caliper
brake disc
then you can see the shoes and your problem if you have the tools or even some of them should only be a 30 min job

Sounds like a plan mate. Thanks for that i'll look into it. :)