GTO Fuel question...

MsEditor

Tuner
Hi all,

Trying to start my Mitsubishi GTO TT after being sat for quite some time and its turns over no problem but it isn't firing.

Can't smell any fuel and before I start putting in a new pump does anyone know if there is a way to check whether fuel is coming through ?

Thanks in advance

Shell :)

Re: Fuel question...

Hi all,

Trying to start my Mitsubishi GTO TT after being sat for quite some time and its turns over no problem but it isn't firing.

Can't smell any fuel and before I start putting in a new pump does anyone know if there is a way to check whether fuel is coming through ?

Thanks in advance

Shell :)

Where is the fuel filter located?

Fuel tends to wax over when left for a while so it would be worth changing the fuel filter.

There's many things it could be. A common fault is the fuel pump relay failing. This is in a small rubber boot, hanging down on the chassis rail under the main engine bay fusebox. Remove the relay from the holder and bridge between pins 2 & 5 on the junction block. The relays can and do corrode.

fprbp-summary.jpg

To check that fuel is reaching the engine, just undo the delivery pipe from the front fuel rail, much quicker than removing the battery etc to check the filter.
Also check the 20 amp fuse [yellow blade fuse] in the engine bay fuse box.
If the ECU has failed it may have damaged the injector drivers on the circuit board, this would mean that they are not pulsing and obviously not passing fuel.

Here's a quick check, what does the standard boost gauge do when you turn on the ignition ? It should go to the halfway point on the marker. If it stays still or goes to full deflection you have an ECU fault.
The [old and weak] capacitors breakdown and track across the board causing damage or just stop working.
Try the above and let us know what's happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to get the line off at the filter but it won't budge! Same with the fuel pipe at the delivery rail - i'll change the fuel filter anyway but I need to get it into the garage to do that...i'm only a girl!!

I've only just seen your posts so I am going to reconnect the battery back up and check the boost guage as you suggest and see what happens..

Watch this space :)

Ok I checked the boost and it sits still.. doesn't even flicker! So is this definitely an ECU issue?

Thanks for the advice :)

EDIT: removed the ECU and one of the capacitors has leaked :( :(

Last edited:
Shell,

At this stage i doubt very very much if a capacitor replacement will work, the damage is on the injector driver circuit. You will need to; a) either find a replacement ECU, in which case renew the capacitors on it as soon as you are sure that it works properly or you will end up in the same position,[a replacement unit will need the same part numbers, ending in 9964] or b) send your unit to the ECU doctor for repair, it should cost around £185 ish although only he can give you the real price when he sees it.
http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/ His name is Rob, he will sort it for you.
I have seen repairs by other places and can honestly say that they are rather appaling, Rob will do it properly. We use him all the time if we need a full board rebuild.

Hi Mark,

I didn't realise it was you until I was reading some other posts yesterday! I know you are well respected in your field and have a wealth of knowledge with the GTO...

I had planned to send it t the ECU doc -i've never used him before but I have heard a lot about him and never heard anything bad - if your garage uses him then I have no issues in trusting his judgement or skill.

I wish I lived closer to you as I would only have you work on my car - sadly when I speak to most places in my area they look under the bonnet with a glazed expresion!

I did manage to pull the fuel line yesterday and with the hose in a bottle (and a fire extigusher close by) cranked it over and nothing! took the ECU out after that after your advice about the boost guage and straightaway noticed the gunk from one of the capacitors over the board.

I feel much better now I know I am in the right direction and will be sending it off to Rob in the morning. I can't afford a new one and I don't trust buying a used one - at least I know that when it comes back it will be fixed and working.

I added fuel stabiliser when I took her off the road so I am hoping this has helped when it comes to starting her when the ECU returns. So my next steps should be oil change and replace the fuel filter... is there anything else important I am missing that should be done before driving as an everyday car again?

Many Thanks for your advice and I am now going to spend the rest of the day cleaning her in anticipation of actually being able to drive her again :) :)

Thanks again

Shell

No problem. If you are not getting any delivery to the fuel rails you may have a separate issue going on there too. It's hard to tell by your description though. Get the unit fixed first and see how it goes as you definitely have a problem with that.
As for other service items, the most important of them is the cam belt service. It's not the belt that fails, in fact I've never seen a belt break of it's own accord on these cars, it's the other components. The hydraulic tensioner leaks, water pump bearings seize and the bearings in the tensioning and idler pulleys fail. Don't go off into a panic as it's not an everyday occurrence, they just need to be done every 54K miles to safeguard against an expensive top end rebuild. If you have done it or had it done, no problem, as long as all the parts were renewed.
We have cars here from all over the U.K. ;)
Good luck in getting it back up and running again. If you get stuck I will help here or you are welcome to call me at the workshop. :)

[Forgot to say] Don't use a cheap oil and filter, they will lead to an early demise of your engine. We only fit Genuine Mitsu filters and we run the engines on Silkolene Pro-S 10/50.

When I took the pipe off from the fuel rails there was a little fuel that spurted out as soon as the pipe came off but then when I turned it iver there was nothing at all, not even a tiny drop!

The first time I had an issue I took it out for the day and drove around 30 miles, stopped for fuel and when I went to drive off again she wouldn't start, turned over but wouldn't fire. Ended up leaving the car there and getting a tow truck to collect it the next day. When the car arrived back home the guy with the truck said she fired up straight away and he drove her up onto the lorry. She started straight away to take her off again as well so put it in the garage and went out the next day and wouldn't start again - this went on for a day or two and then finally she started up first turn again so I drove her down to my local garage. They kept the car for two weeks and the problem never appeared again - just kept firing up with no issues... so brought her home again and a few days later I was back to square one. Didn't have any spare cash at the time to added fuel stabiliser etc and she's been in the garage ever since - that was about 18 months ago!

I did a lot of reading up and I was told that if its the ECU it would just go and wouldn't be a intermittent problem - so I was thinking fuel pump? fuel filter? as there didn't seem to be any fuel delivery when she wouldn't fire up.

I'll get the ECU off today and let you know what happens when that comes back.

Thanks for the tip on the oil - never been quite sure which is best!

Thanks for all you help :)

oh the cam belt was done when I bought the car at 85k - its now on 102k... should I do this anyway as its been sat for a while or am I ok for a few more miles?

As long as the full belt service was done you should be o.k. 54K miles/five years, whichever is the soonest. :)
The ECU's do become intermittent as the capacitors break down. Some just fail and people don't notice little misfires, poor running, poor starting etc in the build up to it.

Just wanted to say that I sent my ECU off to the ECU Doc and what a pleasure that guy is to deal with!

He assured me that my car would purr like a kitten after he had worked his magic and he was spot on! He even gave me a hat, fridge magnet and a lighter :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Mark and I have to tell you when I heard my car fire up again I cried with joy :embarrest:

She is booked in for an MOT, I have my insurance quote ready and she'll be taxed an back on the road by this time next week...

I've waited a long and painful two years to drive her again and I am most definitely smiling like I slept with a coat hanger in my gob!!!

Thanks everyone...a big big thanks xxx

Very interesting thread, I'm also in Portsmouth and have a GTO TT ariving soon, what colour is your car? Think I may have seen it about!