Golf GTI Turbo Problem (Newbie)

louen84

Car
GOLF GTI 2.0
Hi guys, i'm totally new to car tuning and turbo boost hardware and configs but i just took over a golf gti 2.0 which has been pretty well tuned up.

Problem is after 2 months of driving, i realised a drop in the car's hp and the turbo gauge doesn't go beyond 0.5. Usually it hits over 1.0 easily with very slight pressure on the pedal but now even at almost full pedal it stays at 0.5 range.
Can anyone help advice me what is wrong before i bring it to for a check?

If it helps there is a APEXI auto timer and a boost enhancer small device installed in the car though not exactly sure what it does.

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!
Good luck buddy! :)

Without more details and the spec at best this will be educated guesswork especially as it sounds like it has aftermarket parts fitted

Sounds like the turbo pipes are all connected ok but the car is running on wastegate level boost
if so check the boost controller has power and is working

First question though should be have you touched/ adhered anything recently ?

Without more details and the spec at best this will be educated guesswork especially as it sounds like it has aftermarket parts fitted

Sounds like the turbo pipes are all connected ok but the car is running on wastegate level boost
if so check the boost controller has power and is working

First question though should be have you touched/ adhered anything recently ?

Thanks guys for replying.
I haven't touch anything as i don't really understand enough about turbo and stuff. The boost just dropped gradually i guess.

It used to hit the high end of e turbo gauge easily compared to just 0.5 now.

The Boost Controller is powered on but all i can see is scroll through the boost channels not sure what i should look out for in the control saw some boost data charts and stuff.

Having read up alittle on how turbocharger works my guess is tt it may be air filter of sort that's clogging up preventing air flow into e turbo? Is there anyway to check this? I'm seeing an O2 sensor on my APEXI control but i'm not sure what the number reading really means. Would appreciate some guidance on this.

It is very unlikely that the boost has dropped off gradually - turbos with boost controllers dont usually work like that. Also if it is reaching 0.5 boost it cant be the filter

Turbos run at wastergate boost pressure as standard . This is usually between 0.3 and 0.6 so 0.5 seems right.

Above this level the boost controller takes over and raises the boost so that is almost certainly where the problem is.

Could be wiring , a sensor settings, just broke or anything else controlling the boost system .

You need the instruction manual for your specific controller . This should be findable on the net.

The boost enhancer sounds like a scrambler which is set to raise the boost for a short period of time. This could also be the cause of your problems.

My bad the turbo gauge isnt even hitting 0.0 hovering below it feels like the turbo's not even working with the rpm only at 1.5k-2k what could be wrong?

Diagnosing a problem on a forum is hit and miss at best but I can tell you where to look.

No boost and running like a pig could be a boost pipe loose ,off or split. Check all the boost pipes and the hoses to the intercooler are all intact . any pipe loose and you lose all boost and therefore the extra turbo performance from the turbo

A failed turbo usually results in lots of smoke so if the car is smoking badly thats the cause

If not then pipes, wiring and boost controller in that order is how I would start

My apexi af reader shows ---- is this whats wrong?

Sounds like a split hose somewhere, that or there is an issue with, as Sleeper has already suggested, Boost controller and or Wastegate. Who ever sold you the car, speak to them and see how they had the controller set up and if the waste gate had the pressure raised. I wonder if the AF reader is faulty?