General engine tuning tips (VERY General)

I always saw the ability to remap diesels analogous to overclocking your cpu. CPU's are sold at set clock speeds and then they are tested for the capability to run at a given speed then sent off to sell. But the same procedure is effectively used for all cpu's (you get chanegs in tehcnology e.g. 65nm to 45nm etc).

They only reason to do this is to protect their high end range, it's cheaper to have one factory making one cpu then sleeing it at a clock it's stable at. Yet you are usually fully able to change the speed the cpu will run at load with all the other components in PC with a 20% overclock being achievable usually in 2 mins and no need for testing. I have 2.8ghz set to run at 4GHz which money couldn't buy.

And it's ashame that the car industry doesn't allow access without special software/cables to the appropriate chips. Perhaps the car enthusiast industry is smaller (due to high cost) compared to the computer industry, though I reckon you could get a decent car for the money I spent on my pc (2k-ish). Computer enthusiasts are usually willing to buy higher end then overclock.

Sorry to be off topic.

Last edited:
It's like I tell people, why do it if you aren't going to do it properly?
In my experience (very little)
There's no such word as "cheap" when you want more power out of a car.....

It's like I tell people, why do it if you aren't going to do it properly?
In my experience (very little)
There's no such word as "cheap" when you want more power out of a car.....
Sorry, I don't agree, I'm running 300bhp, and the car and all mods only come to about £650. It's a lot to do with knowing what you are doing and getting the right parts at the right price.

agree claymore!.....
and one other think last time i red this thread i didnt oay a lot of atencion on it,and all the disel stuff,but a few days before i drove my friend 2006 535d bmw with slight mod with 300 bhp and i couldnt belive how fast it is!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile::bigsmile:earlyer if i saw a d sign i thought-ahh those noisy thinks...haha but i was soo suprised with its sound!!!!!!it sound absolutly beautiful when flor it...sounds like a huge petrol engine...:cheesy:

What would the best way be to get more power out of a 1.6L 4afe toyota engine. I have already had a 2.5 inch sports exhaust put on and have a K&N air filter.

What would the best way be to get more power out of a 1.6L 4afe toyota engine. I have already had a 2.5 inch sports exhaust put on and have a K&N air filter.

See if yiu can adapt a 4GZE charger to the AFE motor.
Suggest you also check out the "rolla boys" site

I'm new to newer car upgrades. What I'm wanting to ask is if a naturally aspirated 1.6l Nissan engine can have a tune performed on it. If yes what is the process, cost, and HP increase??

I've driven a current 330d and also a 535d. Both are disgustingly rapid from the factory. These engines can still be made to deliver more torque, but you have to question if it's really necessary given the ease with which they both fling themselves foward in response to a gentle squeezing of the right toes :)
There would seem to be no such thing as "just enough power"! :lol:

It depends on the car, and BMW used swirl flaps in their intakes to achieve a similar effect. I doubt a modern engine will benefit that much from one, as EURO 5 compliance onwards has made them pretty efficient.