gearbox mod on mk1 gto tt

poocar

oooops,i think i just broke my 3rd gear sync.
does anyone know if the mk2 6 speed box wil fit my mk1 twin turbo
if so will i still get 160 in 4th gear........:blink:

Hi Poocar. Welcome to TorqueCars. How the hell did you break 3rd gear - were you using the clutch? (I'll ask around and see if hte box will fit I think it will - the engines are the same are they not?

hiya waynne thanks for your reply,i didnt really break the actual 3rd gear i dont think,its just generaly started to get a worse crunch as it goes into 3rd gear,im all new here and to the gto having owned the car for approx 4 mnths,so any infowill be greatly appreciated many thanks,dan.
yes i believe same engine but heard input/output shaft diameters slightly different.

Last edited:
Why not just get your box reconditioned. A single syncro shouldn't cost that much and they will be able to identify any other worn parts.

Usually drivers broke their 1st or reverse gearbox only.Third gear is almost impossible to break unless you didn't step on the clutch and at the same time forcing to get into third gear.

Make sure you bring your car to a professional mechanic for this because if not, a noob mechanic will ask you to replace the whole brand new gearbox.

broke my synchro mesh 2nd gear in my ax years ago :D had to hold the gear stick in to keep it there

found a 5 speed box today but will it just break again,i heard from another source to convert to the mk2 6 speed i need the box,transfer box,prop-shaft,rear diff. and selector cables and shifter!!!so anyone who nows of a complete drive train up for sale !!?:confused:

To fit the six speed box you will also need the six speed's transfer box. You will also need the gear linkages, the five speeders will be too tight. The driveshafts are the same but the propshafts are a different length.
It is common for 2nd and 3rd gear synchros to fail on these cars.
A second hand five speed box will be just as old as yours and will most likely be just as worn, unless of course you are lucky.
Make sure you use a 75/90 GL4 based oil in the gearbox.
If you do find a suitable second hand g/box, check the condition of the output shaft. Please note that there are two sizes, 18 and 25 spline output shafts, unless you buy a box with the same as you currently have, you will also need the transfer box.
Personally, i would overhaul your current gearbox with new synchros and hub rings.