Gear problem

Polo1998

Car
VW Polo 1998 1.6
Hello, i'm new here and to cars, my Polo is a 1998 model 1.6, i changed the gearknob, and now the gear when it is on 1, 3rd and 5th it jumps backward when i press gas, is that sort of a problem ?

Hello, i'm new here and to cars, my Polo is a 1998 model 1.6, i changed the gearknob, and now the gear when it is on 1, 3rd and 5th it jumps backward when i press gas, is that sort of a problem ?

when you say you've changed the gearknob do you mean the knob on the end of the gearstick? if so did you have to use force or did it unscrew easily? i can only think that you may have slightly bent or strained one of the gear linkages making it not quite engage those three gears.the only other thing i can think of is worn selector forks inside the gearbox itself but they dont wear out over night
and not on all three gears at once.
check the linkages between the bottom of the gearstick and the gearbox,you will have to get under the car to do this.
good luck.

Thank you,
I changed the knob not with force but this happened after something got stuck in there, i'll check the linkages and see whats happening.

Thanks Friend, this place is awesome i'm beginning to change the interior of my car by myself thanks to those articles about car interior =D

Try holding onto the gearstick and pulling it up. I've had a similar problem and it was the bracket that held the gearstick in place.