Flat spots in an A3

ChrisPDavies

Morning everyone!

I've recently bought a V plate Audi A3 1.9TDi (90BHP). Whilst I am very happy with the purchase so far (having come from a Renault Clio 1.2!!), I am finding the flat spot in 2nd and 3rd gear a little annoying. They both appear around 3500-4000 revs/min.

What can I do about this? And will any recommended solution have any type of impact on the fuel economy of the car? :?:

Chris

HI- Welcome to torquecars!

IS there a performance air filter induction kit fitted? When was the car last serviced. Is it better on cold days or hot days? Is the air filter clean & is the air box closed properly - if it's like my 1.8T its a real pig :twisted: to snap shut.

Hi waynne, thanks for the quick reply.

The simple answer to your questions is.......don't know!! :?
I would imagine 'No' to the first (two previous owners, don't think either would have tinkered much) The car was last serviced @93,000 miles, it's now on 101,000mi. I am actually putting it in for service soon. I'll check the air filter this weekend; I assume the 'air box' is what houses the air filter??

However, the reason I was asking is that I heard this was just an aspect of owning a TDi, but that it can be improved by upgrading the ECU. Know anything about this?

Maybe I should wait til after the service before starting to change components?

Your airbox assumption is correct. :D An induction kit would look like a cone filter on the end of a pipe- if you have an airbox (RH Side behind battery i think!) then you can assume it's not been modded in this way.

There are lots of chip options that give BIG power gains :twisted: on this option. The best consists of a little pack you plug in to the VAGCOM interface and flick a switch - it gives 3 programs (Normal, Economy & Power). Even power setting gives good fuel economy - if you can get a try before you buy option - each engine is different and higher mileages can sometimes be a problem.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back