first post

phil91

Car
fto gr
ey up lads,
I have a fto gr which I have had for about four years,I have not used it for the last two years as I have been helping my son out with his motorbike racing,now the season has finished I am going to get the fto back on the road, so today I changed the engine oil and fitted a new battery and the car fired up as soon as the key was turned,the engine sounds really sweet and what I find even more remarkable is that everything worked even the aircon was blasting cold air, the only problem with the car came when I tried to set the tyre pressures the car is fitted with hunter willcox wheels when I tried to remove the valve caps two of the valves sheard off, these valves are 6mm bolt in type and when I went to the tyre bay with them the guy said that it was a common problem with this type of valve,so he is going to fit mini metro valves to all four wheels for me these are 6mm but not the bolt in type, the other thing is I remember the brakes not being that good, what would you guys recomend to upgrade them do you think that drilled and grooved discs with what pads, there seems to be quite a choice,I was also thinking about lowering springs whilst Im at it, do you think they would improve the handling, dont want to ruin the ride quality though any advice would be welcome.

Welcome to the forum Phil.

You usually end up compromising ride quality slightly with lowering springs as they won't be matched to the dampers, but if you go for 25-40mm progressively wound springs from the likes of Eibach or H&R you should be hard pressed to notice a dramatic negative effect. I do think they would improve the handling, yes as you'll be lowering the centre of gravity of the car. Again, this would be marginal though imo.

As for brakes, I think you are much better off getting new standard discs or leaving those on if they are in good nick and putting the money towards a better pad, brake fluid and braided hoses. Drilled discs introduce stress points into the disc and the holes provide such little surface for cooling and gas escape it's practically pointless. I would have slotted/grooved dics to allow the gas build up to escape if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, but not drilled.

If you can get the for the FTO Ferodo DS2500 always get a good write-up, and a lot of the Evo boys use ATE Super Blue on track. Goodridge and HEL both make good quality braided lines.

Oh, and try and write in paragraphs chief it makes your posts a bit easier to read :D

Last edited:
Sorry about the lack of paragraphs, I hadnt intended to go on quite so much its probably an age thing.
The main reason for thinking about changing the discs is that they look pretty rusty after two years of non use, they may well clean up ok when I get the wheels back on and Im able to run it Ill just have to wait and see.
Thanks for the advice and the welcome it is much appreciated.

tcsmileysign.gif

Hi there and may I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do.

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"!

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.

Hallo Phil, you could always upgrade to GPX discs and calipers, they fit straight onto the GR, I upgraded my GR with GPX discs, calipers and Hell braided hoses. the brakes are a lot better now.
I also lowered the car by 50m and fitted front and rear strut braces. The car handles a lot better as well.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back