Exhausts...

johnnairn

Wrench Pro
Car
A3 1.8T Quattro
Okay so I've been looking at a few exhausts to upgrade from my standard one, but there are a few thing's I'd like some advice on! I'd like a "nice" sound, loud, but not chavvy loud, something bearable on long distances but distinguisable when I put my foot down. The little pops when you lift off would be sweet too ;)

Turbo Back or Cat Back? Obviously to replace it from the turbo will drag the exhaust gases and heat away quicker but is it worth the money?

What make? Had a look at Remus, Milltek and Jetex, are you just paying for the name or can you get an exhaust of the same standard, which does the same job, at a fraction of the cost?

Just wanted to hear your experiences with regards exhausts and see if I can come to some sort of decision!

Cheers Guys

If I was you I'd go Turbo back and get either a sports cat or just de-cat it. But if you de-cat then you need to save the cat that you take off for MOT time.
Have a good shop around there are good prices out there. Also maybe have a look at a custom made exhaust too.

turbo back will help spool no end as the OEM flexi can be very restrictive will try and find a pick of one
ive the milltek resonated cat back one (slightly dearer than the non res one as its got and extra silencer on it) and it sounds lovely around 3k on full chat but OEM on normal driving.

think i might go for the downpipe and sports cat sometime in the future

finally found it
OEM flexi pipe found by a user on the vwvortex when he was upgrading to a k04 turbo
DSC08048.jpg

Okay so I've been looking at a few exhausts to upgrade from my standard one, but there are a few thing's I'd like some advice on! I'd like a "nice" sound, loud, but not chavvy loud, something bearable on long distances but distinguisable when I put my foot down. The little pops when you lift off would be sweet too ;)

Turbo Back or Cat Back? Obviously to replace it from the turbo will drag the exhaust gases and heat away quicker but is it worth the money?

What make? Had a look at Remus, Milltek and Jetex, are you just paying for the name or can you get an exhaust of the same standard, which does the same job, at a fraction of the cost?

Just wanted to hear your experiences with regards exhausts and see if I can come to some sort of decision!

Cheers Guys

I'm after the exact same thing, hard to decide isn't it!
Do you have any preferrence with regards tail-pipes?
I'm thinking of making my own system from Jetex parts - turbo back with a decat pipe and one silencer at the back. I rarely drive above 2500rpm but when i do i want to hear it.

You made any decisions yet?

powerflow 2.522 full de cat system 400 pound cant go wrong u can describe the spound u want and u will get it...lifetime garentee

Get your hands on a welder, borrow a ramp, cut off the cat and resonator box. Replace with a straight pipe - 2.25" diameter. It'l sound a little sportier and breath LOADS better but won't tick the neighbours off :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back