Torque Cars

exhaust system

Discussion in '5 Series' started by buddy, 17 October 2006.

1. buddy

buddy Road Burner

scotland
    can anybody tell me the best exhaust system to get for a 520i?

2. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Are you after a ZZZZZZZZZZvrROOOOM or a BRROOOOOOOOM or more of a throaty VRUM VRUM?

(I'm losing the plot a bit here so in English)
    What sort of noise are you after or do you just want the power gains from a sports exhaust. Have you thought of a SPORTS CAT as well? Are you looking at getting a full exhaust system or just the back box?

3. buddy

buddy Road Burner

scotland
    Waynne you have been speaking to trooper to much..lol :lol: I really dont know,what do you think? but i do like the vrooooom sound as you would put it.

4. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    I like my exhausts to sound deep and really roar when the revs increase. For this I reckon you should go for a 2-2.5 inch main pipe with a large tailpipe. I'll look into exhausts for your car and see what your options are. a sports cat - the thing that cleans up the emissions will release more power as the standard cats soak up about 5-7bhp!! Decat (taking the cat out completely) is an option but this is not legal and the car would fail the mot.

5. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Scorpion seem to fit the bill and have quite a few tailpipe option including a nice oval and a twin pipe. Sport cats can be really expensive - £400 though so might be best to wait till the cat goes before replacing it. Not sure what year your car is but guessing around a 1996-98.

6. buddy

buddy Road Burner

scotland
    yea waynne your guess is right bm is a 97.more to think about :rolleyes: ..my head is going to explode soon.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Oh Good! Our heads exploded a long time ago - it's quite liberating really.:? I think you get the idea that one mod is never enough - once you start you just keep going!

8. MrHunter

MrHunter New member

Texas
    Car:
    1995 BMW 525i stock
    That's exactly what I keep reminding myself everytime I look at my 525i.