esi engine swap

akaye4000

hi there i am looking to put a 16. esi engine in my vei civic and was wondering what things i have to change e.g. the ecu etc any help?

You hear of these people that do not tell the insurance company of such a swap but is this a good idea?

cheers adam

Hi Dude - welcome to torquecars. The Esi into Vei is a fairly straightforward swap. The vei is built for economy 125hp the Esi is a higher power version 160hp. Both are VTEC. Check tht the mounts are the same. Get the wiring and ECU from the donor version as well this MAY also mean changing the locks & immobiliser. Gearbox etc should be ok - I'll do some more research on this for you.

Insurance - Always tell them. One day you slip on ice mow down a bus queue and the assessor comes round checks the engine - you find your cover withdrawn. You then get sued by the injured bus queue and prosecuted for driving without insurance. Typically under indemnity rules the insurers pay an injury claim on your behalf then recover this amount from you. :shock:

my civic is a 93 so does that make any difference?

also how to i go about telling the dvla etc to sort the tax and stuff out?

As far as telling the DVLA - Just fill in the part of the registration document with the engine number and new cc capacity. I'm still looking for info on your Civic in my archive! What model is it and what is the engine code typically something like XX999-XX. Is it a UK model ie declared new at first registration or an JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) spec car.