Torque Cars

ep3 type r slow!!

Discussion in 'Civic Owners Forums' started by tomsa3, 6 April 2014.

1. tomsa3

tomsa3 Tuner

south wales
    Car:
    a3 1.8T
    my ep3 type r feels very slow
    could the valves need ajusting etc and is there anyway without rolling roading the car of seeing if its underpreforming
    also im getting a shake at about 110mph any ideas thanks ?

2. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56
    As standard the EP3's make 197bhp I think. When was it last serviced and has it been modified in anyway?

The shake maybe to do with un balanced wheels and the bushes might be a little perished.

3. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    Lol.

Drive more slowly? :p

Probably just wheel balance.

Only way you can tell about power without rolling road is to borrow another and drive it and let that person drive yours.

I'm guessing you do still get the step change when the vtec kicks in?

When was it last service though? You'd be amazed the difference an oil and air filter change can make. I'd be looking at things like spark plug gap and condition as well.

4. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    I trust that the 110mph was on a track, otherwise you are a bloody idiot.

5. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    ^^ Yes indeed ;)

As Yugguy & davalav has stated, the air filter and spark plugs alone can make a massive difference so treat the car to a full service which includes the replacement of these items. I don't know if you have leads or coilpacks for the sparkplugs so get these checked as a matter of course. If for some strange reason you are still down on power then I would suggest a session on a rolling road by someone who knows what they are doing. Prices vary wildly depending on who you use, also try and check reviews on the company first as a glossy website does not mean that they are any good.

6. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56
    Double check the vtec system too... If it's not engaging properly at the required rpms then it will feel extremely sluggish. Check the solenoid first...

7. tomsa3

tomsa3 Tuner

south wales
    Car:
    a3 1.8T
    Its serviced every 6k without fail vtec solenoid ? Yes on a track its illegal on uk roads .... going to get a new midsection for exhaust loose that restrictive baffle