Engine decoke options

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are the options for a decoke of the engine?

Has anyone on here tried the various foaming sprays that are around? Do you have a preferred method for decoking your engine?

I remember this from my old Cortina MK1 days. There was an additive that you had to use, made by Redex I believe. Made the car produce lots of white billowing smoke, looked like it was in a scene from a James Bond movie :blink:
Never actually sure if it did work or just relieved my poor students wallet of valuable cash :blink:

I played about with redex in my carb fed Fiat 127. Yep, loads of smoke. I suspect that was the appeal :)

On a serious note tho I am driving about in a nearly 14 year old car which has never had engine work of any kind, just service items. It's covered over 151,000 miles.

Emissions are still ridiculously low:

0.005% CO last test and the allowable limit is 0.3%

4 PPM (parts per million) unburned HC (hydrocarbons) where 300 PPM is the required limit.

Oxygen (lambda) is exactly 1.000 !!!!

I run in on 0w/30 fully synthetic oil and regularly use the full rev range one the engine is fully warm.

It pulls hard in all gears and fuel consumption is in keeping with mfr figures.

Clearly it's not too dirty inside !!

They do indeed know how to build engines, there's many across the globe with three times the mileage mine has and they're still going strong by all reports too. Mine's only a 2.8 straight six so it's not breathtaking performance but it does get on with the job at hand, overtaking on A roads is not remotely difficult. But of course a 535d would do it a whole lot more easily :)

Shame about the BMW badge, I do not like what it represents to other road users. I am NOT a BMW driver !!!!!!!