Torque Cars

Drive-line clunk Audi A4

Discussion in 'A4/S4/RS4' started by DirkOz, 9 January 2017.

1. DirkOz

DirkOz Newbie

Australia
    Car:
    Audi A4 1996 1.8T Q
    The drive-line clunk in my 1996 Audi A4 B5 1.8T Quattro is GONE .... after repairing front CV's.

The drive-line clunk was found to be caused by worn outer CV Joints. (305,000km)
    The CV's weren't making the typical clicking sound, when turning at slow speed left/right at full lock, until very recently.
    I replaced both outer joints, all boots and serviced both inner joints.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of the worn parts, as I left them behind at the CV Service Place.
    There were deep elongated concave depressions where the balls contact the both the spider and the outer case.
    When accelerating to balls would climb up the concave, and clunk back down when decelerating.
    There may be other causes for the clunk, and remedies, just sharing my experience.

Lunchmoney, Yugguy and obi_waynne like this.
  2. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    Cheers for the info. If they lasted 300000km that's pretty good going.

DirkOz likes this.