Dreaded rusty bolt removal

Hi,

This is my first post although i will do a newbie introduction shortly.

I'm at the end of my tether and looking for some help. Im changing the front strut on a 2006 ford fiesta due to a snapped spring. Its my first attempt at this kind of thing and if done my research bought spring compressors, watched videos etc etc.

So were on al stands, the wheel is off the brake line and abs sensors are disconnected from the strut. Im now trying to remove the bolt at the top of the strut that connects to the stabilising arm.

I turn the nut and the bolt turns with it. There is no head to grip at the other end. Ive sprayed with wd40 and tapped with a hammer but nup not happening,

Today i bought a nut split thinking that would do the trick. Cut into both sides of the nut just fine but didn't go through the flange so i now haw a kinda chewed up nut on a thread thats still turning with it.

Also i should add i realise the thread has a hex head at the end for an allan key but that rounded off on my first attempt at turning the nut.

The car cat be moved due to the broken spring and i don't have access to power where it is so an angle grinder would be difficult to facilitate.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sorry i know this is a long first post about a fairly trivial matter but it is driving me insane.

Cheers

Scott

Try a similar sized flat head screwdriver to the Allen key and hammer it into place and secure it with mole grips
If that makes sense?

Thank for the quick reply guys. No the strut isn't off yet mate. Tried the screwdriver thing already.

With what I've seen then only option left Is to hacksaw it off. Is there any particular blade that works best?

Cheers for the welcome dude.

I would try using a 32 tooth per inch hacksaw blade. Depending on the room you have available underneath, you may have to use one of those slimline saws that use the full length blade or in some instances if the blade length is an issue then you can break the blade down to fit the holder.

Cheers man, yeah I've seen a small blade at screw fix for awkward tight spots. I'll try one of them tomorrow.

Historically every time I try to do anything mechanical it rains heavy.

That is a common thing to happen buddy. Ideally an impact gun is the best way to spin the nut off but that isn't going to help you at this time. Getting hacksaw access to the whole nut might be a problem. Also re-assembly might also be an issue as you will need to hold the piston rod whilst turning a new locknut down on it.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back