Do i need an amp?

OriginalVirgo

Wrench Pro
Car
Peugeot 206 S 1.1
Hello guys,
I have standard speakers throughout but shall be getting an 1100w set of 2x front and 2x rear.
My friend said he has a box for the boot, unsure of size or wattage.
The head unit is a pioneer DEH-1300MP which i know is entry level, however it does have an okay mosfet 50w x4 amp. There is a setting in with bass and treble etc that says 'sla' which i assume means slave as in pre-amp and there are the red and white outputs to the rear.
Does this mean it is good to hook up to the sub or will i need a separate amp? Obviously the unknown size is a factor but any ideas hypothetically?
Cheers!tmp-cam-651572511.jpg

Just to expand a little.
The head unit doesn't have a pre amp as such.
The rca lead carries sound and sometimes video signals.
An amplifier boosts electric signals, increasing the overall power.

In the context of basic car audio, the amplifier takes low-power output signals from a CD player, auxiliary connection, or radio, and increases the strength of the signal to the point where it can power speakers and subwoofers.

External amps are generally more powerful than the amps built into car stereos.
To not need and Amplifier you would need and active subwoofer.
Which means it has it's own build in Amplifier so you would only connect and RCA lead and the switchable power to the box to turn it on with the Headunit.

A power supply from the battery is also needed along with an earth somewhere. As close to the box and amp as possible.

The other thing you need to take into account is that, Yes your unit is 50x4 Outpuy but this is peak output at its very best. True/Average output or RMS as its known on that unit is 22 watts pre channel.
With regards speakers, Go for a good quality direct replacement speaker as opposed to one with the biggest wattage rating.
You are going to need a decent amp to power effectively the speakers and box in the boot.
As the unit will be nowhere near powerful enough.

The highlighted bit is very good advice.

Many years ago I bought some Alpine component speakers for my Primera.
They was only £40 but the quality of sound was that good the tweeters completely drowned out the single 12 inch sub in the boot.

Which in turn made me upgrade to two 12 inch subs and a 1000w class d amp wired up in 1ohm stable mode giving the 2 subs a direct 2000w of pure bass.
Add in a power cap to save the battery and it properly thumped.

Safe to say you could hear the subs after that. |B

The other thing you need to take into account is that, Yes your unit is 50x4 Outpuy but this is peak output at its very best. True/Average output or RMS as its known on that unit is 22 watts pre channel.
With regards speakers, Go for a good quality direct replacement speaker as opposed to one with the biggest wattage rating.
You are going to need a decent amp to power effectively the speakers and box in the boot.
As the unit will be nowhere near powerful enough.

I never felt i needed to go to the dizzy heights of even 1kw of power back in the day. I recently done a quick install on my friends 2014 Leon. We used an old school Denon DCA-800 6 channel amp, Fitted Focal components in the front and focal coaxials in the rear with a 10" Hertz Sub in a correctly measured box.
The Focals i cant recommend highly enough, Fantastic clarity and depth of sound which as well to be fair had a lot to do with them being powered correctly as the DCA-800 is a very capable amp and is rated a lot lower than it actually performes.

Never intended going over the top.
Yet the component speakers forced me to.
They was actually only powered by the head unit too.
I had some Square Vibe 6x9's on the parcel shelf.

But in truth they was rubbish for bass. So hooked them to an amp and used them to balance the rears mid range.

It was crystal clear when finished.

To say it all was on a budget it did really well.

Last edited:
Wow, some amazing advice here guys, i don't know where to start. I suppose, get the sub and see what it is all about. Then pick some bits from your knowledge and experience. Sounds like I'll be booming soon.|B