Direct injection and what it means

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Seeing that one of our members has just purchased a car that has a direct injection motor that has some good points like better mileage |B until the inlet ports start to carbon up and fuel consumption slowly increases over time and loses some of the extra power and fuel economy that the system was designed to produce :eek:

I came across this video that explains the workings of DI as well as the good and not so good points with this system.

https://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-direct-injection-1823295996

i have a mitsibishi chariot that is direct injection. it has done 63k and hasnt clogged up yet. it has really good low down power but i wouldnt say its ecomomical though.

I thought that you were a true blue Nissan man :)

When you say "that it hasn't clogged up yet but it's not economical" have you used a bore scope to check the inlet manifold and ports as they may be carbon-ed up and the cause of the high fuel consumption ?

PS The right foot is also a factor when it comes to fuel consumption ;)

Last edited:
I meant that i find direct injection gives a decent power increase especially
in low down torque . The power increase is responsible for the mpg not the head clogging up.
The car has an eco light which doesnt come on when the valves are clogged up.

I've driven some cars with a direct injection engine, it does feel different but since I'm used to not having it, I get overly enthusiastic and got flashed a couple times... :}>

I think it's like automatic gearboxes, if you haven't begun with one of them, it's very hard to make the transition.

Carbon build up happens when exhaust gases are pumped back into the intake for reasons of economy and eco friendliness. If you use a clean burning fuel and keep the car in good condition and drive it hard you shouldn't get too much trouble with carbon build up. The large capacity V6/V8 are terrible for carbon build up as they spend so much time in tickover mode relative to a smaller engine.

The BG intake clean process is pretty efficient, I had this done on my 2.0TFSi and it took about 2 hours but the car came back with full power restored and a little more MPG to boot.

Direct injection is IMO the way forward, it allows much higher compression ratios and greater efficiency! I'm totally sold on them. As long as you know the potential risks and drive accordingly/take care of the engine you should have many years of trouble free motoring.