de tune

berlinettafred

Car
marlin kit car 2ltr
I hade a 2ltre sohc pinto engine, tuned with kent fast road cam and twin webber 45. 152`s also electronic ign.
Now trying to tune the replaced webber 45`s with a single webber
dgav 32/36 with pancake air filter. Still with fast road cam and ign.
It works but ticks over like a single 4 stroke m/cycle at 1200rpm. Uable to adjust dissy to make any differance and adj on carb does have little diferance to colour of plugs ( whitish) .Help ?.:sad2:

So the colour of the build up on the plugs is white?

I'd say it's running a little lean already, which could also be the reason it idles a little too high.

Hi,
With regards to help.
I need any thoughts or info on three things.
Should I just be able to swop carbs without any serious problems or will my stated set-up give me grief ?.

Any thoughts on why (as i stated )that i am unable to get engine to tick over resonable smoth (not light old 4 stroke).

Why as your college said possible too lean, that i am unable to enrich plug colour via adj screw, either way?.
Thanks.:sad2:

For a start, why are you swaping to a twin choke single from a 45' weber?

I would think you'd need the manifold changing to suit the carb, I know a bloke with a Pinto engined kit car and the carb is a similar one to what you mentioned, they only way to get the idle down would be to either, richen the mixture or lean it out a bit, and use less advance on the dizzy, Plug colour should be slightly brown build rather than white build up

HI Jarrus,
Reason for detune is cannot afford twin 45`s with continious over enrichment (as set up not rearly a town drive), more a burn up, so its forever fouling plugs.
Have webber 32/36 fitted on engine with new manifold to match. Problem is cannot enrich fuel and engine very lumpy on tick over which can only be at 1200rpm any lower and it kicks to a stop.
Tried advancing ign dissy and retarding without any differance.
Could it be fast road cam vernier set to high as required for 45`s ?.
Any idea greatfully appreciated !:sad2:

HI Jarrus,
Reason for detune is cannot afford twin 45`s with continious over enrichment (as set up not rearly a town drive), more a burn up, so its forever fouling plugs.
Have webber 32/36 fitted on engine with new manifold to match. Problem is cannot enrich fuel and engine very lumpy on tick over which can only be at 1200rpm any lower and it kicks to a stop.
Tried advancing ign dissy and retarding without any differance.
Could it be fast road cam vernier set to high as required for 45`s ?.
Any idea greatfully appreciated !:sad2:

Is the weber jetted correctly for this application?

Also, a fast road cam is always going to give poorer low RPM flexibility than a stock cam - this extends to idle smoothness as well.

Thanks for interest.
Webber DGAV32/36 was removed with manifold from a working standard Pinto sohc 2000cc engine from scraped kit-car.
I can only presume jetting is correct as have no idea what it would be otherwise, or if I should have changed anything !.
Its same engine as mine but standard not upgrated.
Can you throw any more light, my way ?.
Thanks.:confused:

It sounds like the jet size is too small to me. Your cam profile will alter the ignition timing requitements a little over the stock engine and ups the fuelling requirements a little as well.

Why are you going to a single webber?

HI.
Reason for de`tune friom twin 45 is, due to fast road cam and possible head modified(which was done prior to my purchase)its never run right, broke down serious on sale day and never gone more than 7 miles since without over fueling plugs. returnes 12-18mpg re`tune twice by home guy and motorsport company without anny inprovement.
This is hopefully its saving grace or I just dont know where to go.:sad2: