D-Turbo wobbling when accellerating?

deighton306

Wrench Pro
Car
306 D-Turbo-Finally
I had strayed away from this website as i had no problems and any i did have were rectified with advice from here so im hoping i can get the same class of advice for this problem,
I recently bought a d-turbo 1998 when i bought it the drivers front wheel had a really bad knocking admittingly i have drove on this for a good few hundred miles but now the gearstick seems to wobble constantly and also when im accelerasting to 50 - 60 the whole car shake can anyone shed any light on what i need to do or if i can do anything
Thanks in advance
Craig:lol:

Have the wheels been balanced? It could be a hub, bearing or driveshaft I suppose. If the car has a DMF (dual mass flywheel) this could be on it's way out.

(Welcome back by the way, we are here for the good times as well as the bad;))

Dont think the older 306 dturbo have DMF's do they? Ive owned a couple of them and am 60% (lol) certain they havent. The later HDI ones do i know.

On one of my dturbos i had the old wobbly gearstick. Its a common problem and caused by knackered engine mounts. Check the top one on the left (as you look at the engine) of the engine bay first. Youll find this will most likely need replacing.

You're talking about the 1905cc XUDT engine, yes? They do have solid flywheels. Which is a relief, because DMFs are expensive.

Engine mountings seem to be the first place to look then

Had a feeling it was the mount which u have pointed out there and will be looking to get it replaced asap doesn't look to difficult :lol:

Cheers Guys will let u knw

Hey again im in the middle of taking the mounts off and am not sure whther the rubber is meant to be solid ormove freely as mine is moving very freely and am now wondering if the bush is the problem or whatever it fixes tooo many thanks craig;)

as above, the rubber should be solid to touch and it should also bevery difficult to move my hand. only a pry bar should make it move freely.

chances are if you have raised the engine to lift it from the top mount you would of ripped the rubber bushing/mounting anyway so you may aswell replace it. pennies cost.

Those engine mount do bugger up with age and abuse....that engine puts out a fair amount of torque and has to make do the same mounts as the 1.4 so you can imagin they have been worked harder