Cutting my springs

nig

Torque Junkie
Car
rover 200 1.4si ish
hi. have a rover 200 1999reg bubble, can the springs be removed on the front and rear shocks easy as i want to cut then down to get a ider on ride hight all will be replaced later with new but for now need to lower her to see how much room i have to play with many thanks nig

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: utting my springs

Please don't do it.

1) Cutting springs is IMHO dangerous as they are prone to break.
2) The spring rate and travel and ride quality will be different on a cut spring to a lowered spring so you still won't get much idea on ride quality.
3) Dampers should match the spring height to work effectively.

Please don't do it.

1) Cutting springs is IMHO dangerous as they are prone to break.
2) The spring rate and travel and ride quality will be different on a cut spring to a lowered spring so you still won't get much idea on ride quality.
3) Dampers should match the spring height to work effectively.
sorry for putting post in wrong place thanks for moving .
only lowering to cheak for clearences ie exuast ect will buy new setup when time comes.

sorry for putting post in wrong place thanks for moving .
only lowering to cheak for clearences ie exuast ect will buy new setup when time comes.

It is easy to do. I did mine when I had a Rover 200. You don't even need any spring clamps. If you unbolt the bottom of the strut first then release the spring from the top and unbolt the top mount after you have the spring released. Or if you take it off in one piece you should be able to use you body weight to compress the springs. I cut one coil off of mine. Yes it did squeak after but I just cranked the tunes up.;) Made the ride a bit more bumpy but it wasn't too bad.

IF you decide to do it (which i wouldnt reccomend) then make sure you grind a flat on the part of the spring where you cut it, to give it a seating surface

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back