Cougar question

Rob5044

Car
Cougar 2.5
As the Cougar shares most of it's engine/transmission with the Mondeo, I guess, as there appears to be no separate forum for cougar owners, I should ask my question here.

I have a noisy lifter on my 2.5 V6 Duratec engine, and it was suggested that the lifter set be replaced. If I'm going to replace the lifters, I'm thinking that maybe a fast road cam would also be a good move to get a bit of extra performance. I'm not looking for a fire breathing tyre shredder, just a bit of extra oomph when my foot gets a bit twitchy!!! As far as I'm aware, the only mod ever fitted to this car is a K&N intake filter. What else should I be considering (without needing to rob a bank).

My experience is with old cars, and I've built a 355cid Chevy engine and TH400 auto box some years ago; so I'm not exactly a novice with cars, but that was in the good old days of Holley Carbs and user tuning with a strobe light. Modern computerised cars are designed to keep people like me from getting the spanners out, so any good suggestions would be welcome. I'm past the age where I want to spend endless cold evenings in an unheated garage too, so anything really outrageous ain't gonna happen. I've still got my Z28 Camaro for those increasingly rare occasions I can afford to fill the tank, and the Cougar is my daily driver, so I still need to get 20 mpg to make it useable.

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the replies so far. Who would people recommend for a good fast road cam set. Would it include lifters? As this engine has a timing chain rather than cam belts, what do people suggest in regard to replcement. The engine has done approx 80k miles, so while I'm doing one thing, what else would anyone recommend that isn't too costly?