corsa 1.7 cdti

gazza19

Car
corsa 1.7 dcti sri
right ive had my corsa for about 7 months now and am lookin to spend some money and try n up the performance a bit...just after any tips on what to do. reamp is a possibilty but what sort of performance gains are expected? and will an exaust / induction kit make any real difference or just make it sound strange?

thanks

Hi there gazza19 and welcome to TorqueCars. The best thing you can do on a TD is a remap. You can expect power gains of upto 40% on most TD's. 30% is probably safer and will retain reliability though. An uprated turbo will help deliver more power as well but in terms of cost the remap is by far the best option. Save the extra cash for a better clutch to handle the power. ;)

The exhausts are massive so there is no performance gains to be had from a sports exhaust. Diesels are not high revving monsters so exhaust gases are not as much of a problem as on a petrol.

thanks alot mate but with a power gain of 30/40% what sort of change in specs will i be looking at? at standard the car is quoted as having 99bhp and somwer near 180 lbs of torque and with a remap they say it can go up to 125/130bhp but will this really effect the 0-62mph speed of 10.5s and the top end enough to warrant the cost??

gazza

You will notice the power gain. Ignore the 0-60 it is the mid range 30-70 punch that will really be improved. Most diesel owners with remaps report better or unchanged fuel economy depending on how it is driven.

Have a play with our quarter mile calculator in the tools link - enter your cars weight and it will roughly work out your theoretically best quarter mile time. Remember a second saved is quite a big distance.

Hi there.. i've had my 1.7 CDTi for about 2months and i've got a freeflow exhaust and a K&N filter.. i want to spend some more money on it and have been thinking about a re-map but i was wondering if anything else should be worked on first before the remap?

if you dont min me asking shadow where di you get a reeflow exaust from and what sort of price? does it make the car sund nice, as some people have said it just sounds like a broke tractor? did the two modiications make any real diference?
thanks

hey there gazza19. Of course i dont mind you asking. wen i put the K&N filter in place of the stock there was a slight deeper tone which slightly covered the engine noise.

I got my freeflow from a place called Powerflow here in Port Elizabeth. the freeflow has made a difference. the car does sound nice but its not the same noise as a petrol makes. the car has a drone at around 2000rpm and at 4000rpm and up it has a weird like howl to it. when driving normaly you wouldnt really hear it but when you play you do. on the proformance side the mid range has beffinitly improved and so has the fuel economy. the price of my freeflow was R1900.00.

Wahnne, could you please help me? I'm trying to establish which would be more beneficial as the price varies greatly. Would a re-map be better that wiring in a chip?? what is the difference in terms of performance and also which is less likely to go wrong costing me thousands to repair??

remapping is doen by uploading via a diagnostic port where as chipping involes ripping the ecu apart and soldering in another chip.
remapping can be done in minutes

i know how the two are installed.. i mean what is the difference in the performance that the chip will give me aposed to the re-mapping? i hear that re-mapping is the way to go but i just want some clarity.

normally theres no difference in performance with regard to generic.
however if your going down the custom road its easier to make changes through the port rather than having to de-solder the chip reprogram and reinstall all over again.

definitly looks like a re-map will be the better option and the one i'll go for when i've got the cash. this might be a stupid question but would the simple adition of a dump valve to the stock system make a difference or wait till i uprate the turbo and the plumbing??

dump valves will make no difference to a diesel as theres no throttle body, the addition of a dump valve is jut for the noise on a diesel as it requires alot of additional plumbing.
mostmodern diesel turbos are varible vane witch adjustes the boost as nessesary with the wastegate acting as a back up incase the vanes stick (which can be a common problem with the diesels due to constant throttle)

lol.. the sound would be awesome!! but if there is no benefit to installing a dumpvalve then that will be left till i do a turbo upgrade. Also i want to wish all a Happy New year and all the best for 2009!! i will be re-mapping within the next two months so will be interesting to see the difference!!!

Ahhh what a good thread to start in :p

I've had my corsa for about.. 3 months now, and I've had a DTUK chip fitted (Kinda like the same sorta thing as an ECU Remap) but im wanting to do abit more, was wondering if anyones tried a Z19DTH turbo on it? Altho the only problem I can see is the Z19DTH is part of the exhaust manifold, but i'm unsure if you can get the turbo off or not >.<

If notttttt, anyone know any good places for uprated turbo's and uprated clutch & brakes?

Cheeeeers :D

Andy

AET Turbos and turbotechnics do rebuilt turbos with custom internals. There are a few others around as well but I can't think of the names right now.

Hate to start an old thread but I just got a 2000 Corsa B 1.5D and it's been hell trying to find engine upgrades for it. I know of course bigger turbo (preferably from a 1.7?) and ECU reflash, but I have no idea where to acquire the parts. I'm stationed in Germany so traveling to England is not an option for me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Because I only paid $250 for it since Nissan is refusing to ship my truck to me, I don't want to really spend a lot of money on it. I'm still paying on my truck that is stateside and I'm not going to keep this car when I leave Germany. Way too expensive to convert to US specs. An upgraded turbo and reflash are all that I want.

Nevermind the engine. Just found out earlier that it's the 1.7, but it's still the B model. No one I know in Germany can point me to a chip tuner. Hoping someone here might know but it is a long shot. Thanks for the heads-up though. What's srappies?

Last edited:
Hi there gazza19 and welcome to TorqueCars. The best thing you can do on a TD is a remap. You can expect power gains of upto 40% on most TD's. 30% is probably safer and will retain reliability though. An uprated turbo will help deliver more power as well but in terms of cost the remap is by far the best option. Save the extra cash for a better clutch to handle the power. ;)

Hi I don't suppose you have any ideas for my corsa c 1.7di it's the model with a low blow turbo 65bhp . I was thinking bigger turbo and remap but not sure where to start with turbo etc

Noticed you were saying about a better clutch for transfering power, ive got combo but with same engine and im looking at gettong some more power out of it, what clutch would you recommend abd what else csn be done before remap to achieve best gains possible?? Cheers guys.

I assume it is a company van and not your own? There are quite a few people around who could remap that diesel for you.
To be honest I would not bother with any hardware extras, just get the ECU remapped for extra power.
You could try Celtic Tuning or Viezu as a starting point.

It is my own van, use it fr carrying bikes places so want something thats got a but more poke on the journeys, so basically just worth remap, getting custom powerflow exhaust possibly decat it, know its not much power gain but we do like the noise haha

My point exactly, that's a lot of extra money spent on the exhaust for precious little extra gain via the remap. But on the other hand if you like the noise then do it buddy. I would ask your exhaust fitter how much for a 3 inch downpipe as well. The van would benefit more from this modification due to the gases being able to exit a lot quicker with lower temperatures being achieved.

Having a larger down pipe ie. 3 inch, will help the exhaust gasses escape faster, help the turbo to spool up quicker and allow the exhaust gas temperature EGT to be lower which is - GOOD! ;)

Ok brill :) also a question for my mate hes got the corsa c sri 1.7cdti i know its the same engine like and when he presses his clutch pedal down the clutch doesmt fully disengage, both looked all over to find a solution but stil no answet

Well I don't really know apart from check the obvious, if it is hydraulic then check the fluid, if it is cable then check the adjustment travel and also look to see if the cable has stretched at all. As far my expertise goes I'm afraid, there are some marvellous chaps on here who I am sure will be able to suggest some alternatives for you to look in to ;)