Correct Battery?

johnnairn

Wrench Pro
Car
A3 1.8T Quattro
Hello again,

Was just wondering if there is such thing as a correct battery? When my car is running and the interior light is on, I get a slight pulsing, if the car is under heavy-electrical load (ie radio, air con, lights etc) and I put the interior light on it's like a small disco! At idle you can also see the headlights slightly flickering, but this seems to disappear once you increase the revs...

The sticker on top of the battery says "Type 075, Capacity 60Ahr, Cranking Amps 605", I've also stuck a voltmeter on the battery and it's holding charge fine. The car sometimes struggles a little bit to start after being sat for a few days, but I when I checked the battery it had been sat for a day or so, so I wouldn't say it's losing charge. Recently done plugs...

Any ideas?! Especially about the pulsating lights...

the battery does very little with the car running - you can infact, although not advisable, remove the battery with the car running.

what condition is the alternator in ? what were the voltage with the engine running ? iirc you should be looking for 14v with the engine running

I'd also say this sounds like an alternator issue. It could possible be a bad earth so break and make all connections to the battery as a a precaution.

Apologies for the delayed reply, had to wait until I returned home to get the voltmeter. I got the following readings:

Battery on it's own: 12.17V
Car running: 13.91V
Car running with everything turned on: Started about 13.87V but jumped around a lot and dropped as low as 13.67V, but was constantly changing...

ALSO there a a fairly audible ticking coming from the black box just above the washer fluid reservoir... Not sure if this is anything to do with the electronics etc or what this box even is. Any advice would be much appreciated! Cheers.

What happens to the voltage reading with the engine running and lights/air con rear heater etc on as well?

Stereo is the Bose Symphony so is running the standard amp from that, hidden in the side compartment in the boot.

Well the car running measures around 13.91V and varies a little, and with engine running and the lights/air con/radio on it drops to the lowest reading of 13.67V but jumps around a fair bit up to 13.87V ish.

I'll take it in and get the altenator checked before it completely packs up!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back