Corolla mods

Rancer

Car
Corolla T3 1.6
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice for perking up an '03 1.6 vvtl-i Corolla a bit. Im not sure what is realisticly possible to be honest!

Im house hunting so springing for a new car will have to wait for a while at least - hence wanting to squeeze a bit more power / handling out of the current one.

Various people have suggested a K&N air filter to begin with, then a new (full) sports exhaust system and lowering the suspension a bit. Possibly followed by a remap.

Any thoughts would be appreciated - even if it's "Don't bother"! Also any guestimations on cost and benefit of changes..

Cheers

ok
DONT BOTHER
with the remap, theres not much point on a NASP engine until youve done everything ese you want.

go for a panel filter rather than full induction kit, along with the exhaust, sports cat and exhaust manifold (full system). fuel pressure regulator, higher lift cams.
after this then look at remapping make sure you go for a custom job rather than the off the shelf ones.
if your wanting a bit more look at gas flowing the head

stiffer suspension along with strut brace will help the handling. dont forget about decent tyres tho

Cheers

Yep, I was planning on some better wheels rather than the bog standard 15" ones I got!

Out of interest, why the pannel filter rather than a full kit? Is it just overkill for the engine size/potential?

the panel filter gives you a spread of power over the whole rev, where as will most cars the induction kits lose low down power and torque. and alot of good panel filters can give the same power as a full induction kit. just remember to fit some ducting to get a nice supply of cold air
now how often do you use the cars peak power, prob around 5500rpm on the corolla ?
now compare that to the mid range that you use

Didn't know that about the panel filters vs induction kits.

Im not looking for peak end power so i'll go for the panel (any recomendations anyone?). I presume bringing the cold air through the grill (via ducting as suggested) will be ok?

Thanks again.

yeah cold air can be taken from there of behind the lower grills if youve not got foglights

for makes pipercross, green K&N. watch out however that they arnt over oiled from the factory otherwise the oil might start sticking to the MAF and confuse it. Green dont oil theres as far as im aware