Cool Lighting for Honda Accord 1.8i 1999

Spedward

Wrench Pro
Car
Honda Accord 1999
Hi Guys,

I have currently got red footwell LED's installed with a switch in my honda accord. however, I am looking for more cool lighting for my Accord. I am looking for a couple of cool interior lighting effect and a couple of exterior lighting modifications.

I am thinking LED's on the dash for inside and LED's on the outside somewhere. I have NO IDEA what to get done!

I know a really talented auto electrician and he owes me £500 worth of work so the skys the limit - any ideas guys?

remove the current leds/lamps that are in the dash and change them to another colour to give a bit of individuality

think id rather get the £500 off him and spend it on the engine that could possible get you most of a exhaust system.

Hi Pgarner,

cheers for that, I never thought about that before - The cars a red and silver theme so red backlighting to the dials would be cool. Is it easy enough to change these bulbs?

I have £500 worth of work. We had a deal you see and he only owes me electrical work - not money. So I need to take full advantage of it!

Any other ideas would be great as you seem to know what you are talking about.

Get a decent ICE system installed and setup. You could also go with door courtesy lights in the bottom that come on when the door is open - that can be quite helpful.

What about getting him to make you a carputer?

i did change some on my civic - there was a mixture of 501 (sidelight style bulb) and smaller inbulit LEDs. changed the 501 to blue but changed them back as the normal leds were more overpowering so it was very light. changing them all should make them look better

dont go mental and have it look like a disco when you open the door instead go for more ambient lighting - door handles, door pockets etc the puddle lights that waynnes on about are very helpful and easy enough to fit in

will ditto a carpute unless you have spend silly money on a headunit. mines cost me less than £400 to build and fit it now does music video, gps diagnostics and might soon have internet access on it for real time gps

I really like the idea of puddle lights (door courtesy lights in the bottom that come on when the door is open )... has anyone got any pictures of these in action?

I would be interested in have a sound system installed becuase the one in the car already is rubbish - so quite and no base! - the problem is however that the £500 is all for fitting only - I would have to buy the headunit / speakers etc.

What would I need to buy for a new sound system? I really dont have a clue where to start with sound systems. Am i right in saying i would need a headunit and 4 x door speakers? Advice on this would be superb

if i remember ill take pics of mine tonights
bit of a con there if its for fitting only, unless your going for some mental wiring setups youll struggle to spend that.

for a semi decent sound system
headunit look for one with as many preouts as possible
amplifier
sub and enclouser - try to stay away from active sub (ones with a built in amp)
as for door speakers look for components in the front.
£500 for all this could buy you something decent but the fitting kits is around £40 but you using decent wire you can do it for 1/4 the price

not the puddle lights but some of the ambient lights
day
IMG_1411.jpg

Night
IMG_1412.jpg

Lights on interior light
DSC00179.jpg

note that those ones were blue . below picture is with the red ones
DSC_00082008-01-21.jpg

Edit more for you re puddle light

golf021.jpg
Mk4 golf puddle light. its more or less a indicator size at the bottom of the door

LEDs can also be wired into the wing mirrors to shine the light onto the ground
just some ideas for you

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

Thanks for all your advice and ideas!

I have decided to go ahead with the following electrical modifications:

1. Red footwell lighting in the front and back with a switch on the dash - to go on when any door is opened and only when the side lights are on (so it beaps when you try and leave the car without switching them off)

2. 2 x Red LED's on either side of the roof mounted map light shining down towards the gearstick (connected to same switch as footwell lighting)

3. 2 x Red LED's on the dash (under the CD player) shining down towards the gear stick (connected to same switch as footwell lighting)

4. Red LED's in door handles

5. Red LED's behind speedometer etc.

6. Custom "foglights" on the front of the car - i.e. they are fog lights which have had the bright light electrical component replaced to fit sidelight bulbs instead - so that they can be on all the time and be legal - as the law states you can have unlimted sidelight fixtures on either side of your vehicle (as long as they are 10W and and white light)

7. All bulbs to be replace with Xenon white bulbs.

8. fix window washer (the right hand ones broken) and fag lighter

I will post pictures when the work has been carried out